Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Mar-15 17:18:55
Print Post

Macbook Pro 15 Inch with Retina display ?

[link to this post]

Only had it a week and the last couple of evenings with this sitting on my lap its getting extremely hot underneath.

Im not even taxing it just browsing websites and stuff,its got I7 Processor and 16 gig of ram and dedicated graphic card.

Qustion is…………Is this actually normal and is there any program or setting i can view to look at the temperature of this unit and see if there are issues.

At the best part of £2000 i feel i may just take this back to the shop,its not the only issue either,when replying to a few forum posts on here during the last few days i have a box come on the machine just like the box I'm typing in now but with flashing distorted pixels,and on occasion,happened about 6 times when i shut the machine down i have a black screen but the mouse pointer is still showing and can be moved with the trackpad.

To shut it down completely i have to hold the power button.

Any suggestions guys/girls ?

Thanks.
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Mon 09-Mar-15 09:04:00
Print Post

Re: Macbook Pro 15 Inch with Retina display ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Definitely doesn't sound right.
I would take it to an Apple store to be checked out they can either reassure you that all is okay or swap it out. Give them a ring they are very helpful.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 09-Mar-15 10:52:41
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Agreed. Have always had absolutely excellent service from Apple. There has never been any of this trying to get out of it rubbish from them at all.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:12:18
Print Post

I agree with stniuk and Nanook, but it might be worth a check in the Activity Monitor (Apps => Utilities) that nothing is hogging the CPU. Laptop cooling isn't intended to cope with CPU's running flat out for extended periods.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 09-Mar-15 14:22:25
Print Post

A shot in the dark but, are you running uTorrent, and, if so, have you installed the latest update?

Seems they have added in some kind of bitcoin mining process which can hog CPUs.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?url=https://torrentfrea...
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 15:26:02
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

That's a bit cheeky… I run a protein-folding app on my machines which will also grab every CPU cycle it can find. It's OK on the desktops, but I uninstalled it from the MacBook (and the other laptops) when I saw the CPU temperature approaching 95ºC crazy

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 15:48:51
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

Im using the Mac one called Transmission on both this Macbook Pro and my iMac in the office that don't have any of the so called issues.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 09-Mar-15 16:17:01
Print Post

Lappies aren't designed to run flat out all the time, especially if they cannot keep themselves cool and Apple kit is no exception. Laptops with high-end processors such as the i7 will get hot in such circumstances and having all cores running will only exacerbate matters. Use a system monitor to track the CPU usage. The more cores that are parked, the cooler your laptop will run.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 09-Mar-15 16:25:48
Print Post

Ok fair enough.

Although, as Mick said, check out the CPU because any form of torrenting can cause high traffic and I would assume high CPU usage as well, even if it doesn't have the cack uTorrent have decided to put in their latest version.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 09-Mar-15 16:26:21
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Eeeek!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to