Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Mon 31-Aug-15 12:56:04
Print Post

YOSEMITE 10.10.5

[link to this post]

Happy using mid 2012 MacBookPro with OSX 10.8.5.
Keep getting "update software" messages from Apple pushing OSX 10.10.5.

But the user response panel / Customer Ratings on the Apple App site for OSX 10.10.5 show 27 for 5* and 32 for 1*.
Not exactly an enthusiastic response.

As we are relatively content with OSX 10.8.5, and don't feel the need for more complexity and more learning how to do things, is there any real point in installing the upgrade?

Particularly as it may prove tricky/impossible to revert to the old 10.8.5 if we don't like 10.10.5 ?

Are there any real disadvantages in staying with what we have got used to?
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 13:55:11
Print Post

Re: YOSEMITE 10.10.5

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Unfortunately there is far too much drama-queening with user revues.

The two main issues were:

The attempt to replace mDNSResponder with the new, ground-up re-written discoveryd, which was a total....ermm omnishambles. In 10.10.4 they reverted to mDNSResponder which has stabilised things

The new Photos app which, besides having the stupidest app name ever (try googling for help on it), had a lot of issues and loss of functionality (caused, again, by a ground-up re-write).

There is quite a bit of divided opinion about the revised iTunes with iTunes Radio - it definitely needs tiding up and its relationship with iTunes Match property spelled out.

If you are concerned then wait for 10.9, which is billed as a Snow Leopard-style optimisation release. If you're happy with 10.8 and it does all you need then there is no rush.

Edited by ian_c (Mon 31-Aug-15 13:55:22)

Standard User Sark
(legend) Mon 31-Aug-15 14:09:45
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

There are also major problems with the WiFi. I have a brand new 2015 Macbook Pro that can't stay connected for longer than 5 minutes. At least not before I installed a third-party app called WiFriedX which disables the components causing the disconnections.

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Thu 03-Sep-15 10:06:55
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I found Yosemite excellent, I didn't have the wifi issues that others did because I use a desktop connect via cable.
Photos works great and you get to keep your old photo and iPhoto library of you are concerned. iTunes is getting bloated, I wish we had a separate videos, music and store apps as in iOS.
There is a lot of stuff in there especially if you use other Apple devices but as the previous poster says, I would wait and try 10.11.
The main advantage is security, I think 10.8 was getting any major patches but how long that lasts I don't know.
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Fri 04-Sep-15 14:31:24
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

No problems at all with wifi. I have one cable connected iMac which I use in case of router problems, several MacBooks and two more iMacs, all running 10.10.5
Standard User Sark
(legend) Fri 04-Sep-15 19:32:08
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

I have read it may be related to the kind of router you have. Mine is a standard Virgin Media SuperHub. I don't know though. It seems a lot have problems and a lot don't.

John.
  Print Thread

Jump to