Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-15 15:02:47
Print Post

NETGEAR ROUTER

[link to this post]

For a couple of years I have used a "Netgear N300 Wireless Router with USB WNR2200-100 UKS" with reasonable results, in an average size house.
The router is located upstairs and a MacBookPro usually located downstairs, where it works OK with a 5-bar WiFi signal strength. Moving from one room to another helps the speed of operation, even though the signal strength symbol is unchanged.
So far so good.

But now there is an iPhone5 user in the house, and when used downstairs the phone shows a signal strength of only 2 to 3 bars [ I don't know if 3 bars indicates maximum or not].
And email is slow on the iPhone.

SO, what, if anything, can be done to increase the WiFi signal strength / range of the router?
There does not seem to be any option to change Range in the Router Settings.
The Wireless Setting Mode is "UP TO 145 Mbps"
Is there any way of changing Settings etc to improve range?

I did notice on the Netgear N300 Box that N300 does not have a TICK for "Larger home or multiple floors", where the N600 entry does have a tick.

Maybe I just bought the wrong low performance router?.
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Tue 24-Nov-15 19:36:29
Print Post

Re: NETGEAR ROUTER

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

The signal strength bars on computers and phones are only an indication of signal strength and are in no way accurate. If you are getting a signal that is fine you only need to concern yourself when you loose signal all together.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Nov-15 19:39:26
Print Post

I don't think your problem is the router as the Macbook Pro works fine. It's the fact that the iPhone has a much smaller antenna and so isn't as good at connecting at lower signal strengths.

What performance does the iPhone give right next to the router?

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-15 13:22:06
Print Post

Thanks for the suggestions.
The reason for concern is that I expected that at home the iPhone would automatically connect to the Netgear Router, as that wireless network is paid for on a fixed monthly basis with zen - so in effect extra usage is free.

But the Apple iPhone seems to prefer to connect to the EE wireless network.
And that incurs charges.
I expected that to happen only when away from home.

I wonder if Orange/EE preset the Apple iPhones they sell, to have their own wireless network as a preference, to enhance their profits?

On the Apple MacBookPro NETWORK the user can set the preferred method of networking.

Using the iPhone close to the NETGEAR ROUTER does not seem to make any difference.

I am beginning to think that the router is OK - but the error was to buy the iPhone5C from EE [ that was not my decision ].

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/EE-Home-Broadband/Why-i...
Standard User najarak
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-15 12:10:00
Print Post

I usa an iPhone 5 supplied by Orange/EE and don't experience this, in my house it connects to my router (Apple Airport) outside the house it switches to the EE mobile network for data.
Have you tried turning off Mobile Data in Settings?

Steve

IDNet Home Max
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-15 18:37:29
Print Post

Have you disabled WiFi Assist in the Mobile Data in the Settings menu on the phone, if not do so - this was introduced recently and caused a minor storm in the hand wringing websites
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Dec-15 01:52:58
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

Why does a minor storm in hand-wringing circles mean it has to be disabled?

I've had it on since I got my 6S and it has caused zero issues.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 01-Dec-15 11:49:09
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

The various "save you money" websites suggested that having Wifi Assist enabled would cause you to use more 3G and 4G data and so increase the users mobile phone bill.

The WiFI assist feature only became visible in the last couple of months in the last IOS upgrade. The money saving websites (and Which) complained that the WiFI assist feature was introduced without any warning to users who do not read all the documentation.

There were a few complaints published by users.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Dec-15 11:54:52
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

I know (Although my days of taking Which?'s tech reviews serious have never really started - and in the last issue they said that they had not had time to test it anyway), but the actual evidence to support the claim is negligible.

There were a few complaints published by users.
Out of the couple of million units sold.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 01-Dec-15 15:55:32
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I was only trying to help the originator of the thread about resolving the phone preferring to use 3G or 4G, not get involved in discussing the merits of the personal advice web sites.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to