Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Fri 27-Nov-15 06:32:22
Print Post

New service from Apple?

[link to this post]

Just bought my wife an iPad Pro from the online Apple store as my local Apple stores did not have the model I wanted (128GB with 4G). It duly shipped from China and arrived in only two days via UPS.

The day before it arrived I got an email from Apple offering a home visit to set it up. All I had to do was let them know when it arrived and they would send someone out asap.

Alternatively I could make an appointment at either of my local Apple stores. The iPad arrived at 2pm and I replied to the link to arrange a home visit. Shortly after I got a phone call to ask if 4pm would be ok.

The Apple guy duly turned up on time and had the iPad up and running in under an hour. I could have easily enough done it myself but wanted to see how well the service would work.

The Pro is blistering fast in both modes and makes my Air 2 look rather sluggish frown

A premium service for a premiumly priced device.

I suppose I am fortunate in having two large, well staffed Apple stores within a 14 mile radius.

The only conditions for a home visit are a high-speed internet connection and a computer to watch the instructional videos on while the tecnician works on the Pro

I can't get fibre as I am directly connected to the exchange via a very short cable which runs underground for a few metres and then up a pole to get over the road to my house. My TalkTalk connection gives me 17.5 Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 08:32:51
Print Post

Re: New service from Apple?

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Was going to make a separate thread, but since you mentioned it .....

Just brought my g/f an iPad Air 2, she is an Apple noob and also lives in fear of viruses and malware (postmicrosoftism) what, AV etc do you use on your Air 2 please ?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 08:42:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I've got an iPad Air 2. I don't use any AV on it - nor on an iPhone. There is still very little out there that targets them and I don't tend to visit "dodgy" sites. No issues in the years I have been using iPads/iPhones.

I think most of the AV products for IOS out there are smoke and mirrors more than anything.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 08:47:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well that's my view too, nowt on my iMac, and never any issues, but I know for sure she'll want to use 'something'

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 11:21:03
Print Post

Am not aware of any AV for iOS - but the threat only becomes measurable if you jailbreak it.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-15 11:26:40
Print Post

You might like to show your wife this article, which tells you all you need to know.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/is-ipad-ip...
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Fri 27-Nov-15 13:00:00
Print Post

I do not use AV products on any of my IOS devices or iMacs/MacBooks and I have numerous ones and have never considered it necessary.

I'm generally careful in the sites I visit but I do get a lot of spoof/phishing emails with links to what are obviously dubious sites. If you have any internet presence it is more than likely that your address will be 'harvested'. If you 'hover' over the link on a prospective site most browsers will display the resolved URL before you click it. A quick visual check should determine if the link is valid. Just beware of even one character out of place from the real URL.

I predominately use online banking and have been extremely impressed by the apparent look/authenticity of some of the fake sites.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 14:29:54
Print Post

Thank you, your views seem to agree with mine .... now to try and persuade SWMBO.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 28-Nov-15 02:08:20
Print Post

Seeing as how any malware can only really come though ads, you could try an ad-blocker. I use Adblock Plus.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-15 22:32:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thank you BatBoy, advice taken.

Print Thread

Jump to