Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Sun 13-Dec-15 12:49:49
Print Post

Mac mini

[link to this post]

http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/
I was thinking on getting one of these for general internet usage to replace an older type pc.
Has anyone experienced these units? I know they are a scaled down version of other more powerful Mac pros.

Having use PC's from days before sliced bread I am curious to the OSX of Apples desktop variety. I don't want to spend a fortune on a imac or airbook if I am going to hate the OSX. I can give it to the younger members of the family if needed.
Iphones & ipads used daily.

I see from HERE that it has not been updated for a while.

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 13-Dec-15 13:45:04
Print Post

Re: Mac mini

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Your link says it comes with El Capitan
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Sun 13-Dec-15 14:27:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sorry I meant the actual physical hardware, its not been updated since oct 14

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Sun 13-Dec-15 17:53:27
Print Post

They are great little computers, a great way to play with OS X. Don't forget that you'll need a keyboard and mouse. The Apple wireless ones are good, but add to the cost.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 14-Dec-15 12:37:26
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

One of the aims of the mini is to ease the transition to the Mac, one is supposed to be able too use the screen, keyboard and mouse from Windows machine.

Apart from being an entry level product to ease the newcomer in, they are also great for server duties, the older models often can have the memory increased and the hard drive exchange for a larger one - or for a SSD.

I use one as a music server and a print server for the iPads and iPhones.

Look for used ones to reduce the entry to the Mac OS cost even less
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Mon 14-Dec-15 12:45:00
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

A Windows keyboard is not ideal on a Mac because of the different layouts. If the mouse supports "gestures" then it doesn't have to be an Apple one. Do any Windows mice work that way?

I agree they make good mini servers; a bit tricky to replace the hard disks though, and I'm not sure if the RAM is user-replaceable in the latest models.
Standard User kebabselector
(regular) Tue 15-Dec-15 13:32:38
Print Post

If you're after a Mac Mini check out the Apple refurb store - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeal...

They pop up every now and then for £339 (base model)

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Under Review'
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Tue 15-Dec-15 18:17:37
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Thanks, Yes I had noticed the refurb store on apple. They sell stock quite fast.

Thanks everyone.

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-15 20:22:33
Print Post

Last years Mac minis was better so I have been told, easier to update and had better processors. If you buy a 2015 Mac mini then you are stuck with the memory it have in as it is soldered in and the hard drive is almost impossible to replace. The older ones was also quad core, newer ones are dual core. No doubt they use a slightly higher tech CPU, but I think the lack of two cores would make a difference.
Also, while you can use a windows keyboard with a mac, it is not ideal.

I have been considering a Mac mini myself, but not sure to be honest. They are a different kettle of fish to a Windows based machine, best to go into a shop and have peak first.
I have used Macs a few times, so I am used to the way they work, well almost, but still feel strange from a Windows based machine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Fri 18-Dec-15 01:48:50
Print Post

Minis are handy little beasts but relatively expensive for what you get.. I had one but sold it on (actually for a profit) as I now prefer iMacs and MacBooks. You will also need a compatible screen and keyboard/mouse.

Have a look at this review.

...and also this.

Bottom line... it is basically a MacBook Air without the 'clamshell' screeen and keyboard.

Also note that OS X is a very different animal to Windows.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to