Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-15 11:22:06
Print Post

iPad queries!

[link to this post]

Apologies about this, as I suspect it is down to my own misunderstandings/errors!! Also apologies if this seem to be a "bit-of-a-saga"!

Firstly, some background:- In the New Year I'm going on a long trip (involving long flights & multiple Hotels).

Whilst I'm aware that most long-haul flights have some form on on-board movies, I thought it would be a good idea if I got some form of "Tablet" to watch my own choice - plus I could also watch Films in my Hotel.

Obviously, I also want a Tablet to enable me to take some Notes etc & (when I get Internet connection - remembering the cost of some Hotels' WiFi) can check up on emails etc.

Eventually, despite the fact that I'm "Apple-Ignorant", I decided to invest in an iPad Air 2 (64Gb).

Generally it seems to be quite a good device, the included functions (such as "Mail", "Safari", "Numbers" & "Pages") seem adequate for my purposes - but I'm really struggling to get to grips with some aspects of it!

Obviously, the first thing that I wanted to do (after I sorted out basics - emails etc) was to transfer some DVDs across (from my PC) onto the iPad.

This is where I hit the first stumbling block! It seems to be configured to assume that you are ALWAYS going to be using iCloud (really not much use when you are 35,000 ft up & are restricted to using it in Airplane Mode!).

After a lot of discussion with some form of Apple Support (who didn't seem to understand why I couldn't use iCloud in a Plane), I eventually installed an App called "Documents".

After a lots of effort (I can't even recall how I managed it), I eventually managed to get a DVD locally loaded - but it will ONLY play via a "Documents-Viewer", not any Media Player!

Strangely enough, when I now open "Documents", I cannot find any listing of my Movie - except within Recent-History (where it will play - hence confirming it is still there) - obviously, the first problem will be when it falls off the bottom of the Recent-History, I'm going to lose all access to it!

After looking around the Internet, it was suggested that I needed to use iTunes to transfer files (including Films) between iPad & PC.

Second problem, I couldn't find iTunes on my iPad anywhere!! I have iTunes-Stores (which takes me to the Store to purchase additional films - which I don't want) and iTunes-U (which seems to want to sign myself upto some sort of "Course" - again, something I don't want) - but I simply cannot find "iTunes".

Hence I then went into iTunes Store to see if could download iTunes - but I get the response that I already have iTunes!! So far, nothing I've found on the Web explains to me how I find the iTunes App (everything seems to assume that it is already there & that it must start by Magic)!

Eventually, taking a different approach, I downloaded iTunes (ver 12) onto my Win-8.1, 64-bit PC.

After a lot of hassle I got this to recognise my iPad!!

It appears to show Listings/Directories of both my PC & my iPad. Unfortunately it is NOT showing the DVD that I know is already on my iPad, NOR is it showing any of the other Films that I have on my PC - hence I'm totally unable to transfer the Films between the 2 devices!

Hope I've not been too garbled, but this really is getting frustrating!

Regards,
John
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-15 13:42:34
Print Post

Re: iPad queries!

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Obviously, the first thing that I wanted to do (after I sorted out basics - emails etc) was to transfer some DVDs across (from my PC) onto the iPad.
Use your preferred DVD ripping software
- rip as MP4, a 720p rip will be about 1.2gb iirc

- then load 'em into iTunes on your PC (you can drag and drop and it might be a good idea to edit the meta data so you can find things easily), then use iTunes to move them to the iPad via iTunes sync.

- Use the Videos app on the iPad (not iTunes Store) to view (if you prefer you can transfer into VLC but this is a bit fiddly and for playback, Videos should be fine)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-15 13:52:15
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
Use your preferred DVD ripping software
- rip as MP4, a 720p rip will be about 1.2gb iirc

Yes, have been able to do that!

- then load 'em into iTunes on your PC (you can drag and drop and it might be a good idea to edit the meta data so you can find things easily), then use iTunes to move them to the iPad via iTunes sync.

Opening up iTunes, on my PC, does NOT list any Films/Videos that I have on the PC - this listing is blank! I can't figure out how you get the "Films" Listing (within iTunes on the PC) to look at the correct PC directory!
- Use the Videos app on the iPad (not iTunes Store) to view (if you prefer you can transfer into VLC but this is a bit fiddly and for playback, Videos should be fine)

I was trying to use iMovies.

Although you clearly don't recommend "VLC", I'm don't even understand what "VLC" is!

Incidentally, in trying to use iMovies, I can't even see the Film that I can open in "Documents" (even if it is only listed in Recent-History)!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-15 14:38:49
Print Post

Opening up iTunes, on my PC, does NOT list any Films/Videos that I have on the PC
Yeah, you need to import them (you should be able to drag and drop)

What version of iTunes are you using?

(VLC is an open source media player - it can play formats Apple apps can't, but is a bit of a faff)

iMovesi is for making films, rather than viewing them. Vidoes is the app to use.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-15 16:43:26
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help, but:-

Don't seem to be able to Drag & Drop! Can't find the files from within iTunes, hence going into File-Explorer & trying to Drag/Drop into iTunes (tried both into the Device Films Folder & into the main Films Folder) - always get the "No-Entry" sign indicating that it won't do it!

iTunes Version:- 12.3.2.35 (64-bit)

Regards,
John
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-15 16:48:59
Print Post

Try VLC. It's a great media player and it makes it easy to transfer files to your iPad.

http://www.padgadget.com/2013/07/22/padgadgets-ipad-...
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-15 17:14:11
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
Try VLC.

Thanks for your comment!

However, from the link you gave:-
The easiest way to get multimedia files onto your iPad is through iTunes file sharing.

Since I haven't managed that yet, it is probably still a bit academic as to which Player I use.

Regards,
John
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-15 17:44:42
Print Post

It also details two other ways that you can transfer files using VLC. As you are having difficulties using iTunes I thought you might like to try one of the other methods. iTunes is not known to be the most user-friendly software, particularly on a PC.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-15 22:52:42
Print Post

in iTunes on your PC go to File / Add to library, find the file(s) that you want to add and away you go. Once you have them in iTunes on your PC you can then sync them to your iPad.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-15 23:08:31
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I have no access to a Windows PC but I will tell you my workflow on a Mac which will probably be very similar.

You need a dvd ripper, which you already seem to have. It will rip the dvd and some of them convert the file to mp4 format which you need your video to be in for Videos to work on the iPad.

If it doesn't convert then Handbrake is a very good converter you can download and free.

So you rip the file of the dvd and if you end up with an mp4 file skip the next step.

Launch handbrake pick from one of the presets from the menu the iPad setting would be best.
Click source and point it to your video_ts file or the disc image the dvd ripping software generated. Press start then select where you want to save the file, desktop is handy.

When it's complete launch iTunes. On first using itunes click iTunes preferences and goto advanced tab, click the copy files to media folder checkbox. This keeps the movies in it's own folder. Click apply or ok. You only need to do that once. Then drag the mp4 file into iTunes. The file should copy into iTunes.

This is on Mac but windows may be the same. The file when dragged in will be in the home movies tab. Click that tab and select the movie. Then right click it and select get info. Here you and change the movies name genre, and most import in the options tab you can change the media kind to movie.
The movie then disappears but if you click the movie icon it's now in there.

Connect your iPad, click movies on the left, click checkbox sync movies, select all movies then the sync button below, the movie should transfer.

The movie should then be in the Videos app on the iPad.

It sounds complicated but once you have done it a few times it becomes automatic.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to