Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-16 15:44:08
Print Post

ZIP FILES

[link to this post]

British Library has sent me an email to my YAHOO Mail address [ it seemed a good idea at the time ] with a copy of a magazine article as an Attachment.
The Attachment is shown as an icon with "Download" on it.
I have clicked on the "Download" instruction but that does not seem to result in any downloaded file that I can locate.
The file name is shown on the email as
pdf_copy-myuser.name_632819.zip (7.9 KB)

In the past I have been able to decompress .zip files using STUFFIT but this particular file seems to be calling for TEXT WRANGLER.

This MacBookPro uses 10.8.5 and appears to have both STUFFIT EXPANDER and TEXT WRANGLER.

There are some SWIFT files but these cannot yet be opened.

Any ideas how to crack the code?

I have asked Library to send the pdf document to another of my email addresses [ on Apple Mail ] but I don't have great hopes of that working.
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 30-Jun-16 16:12:47
Print Post

Re: ZIP FILES

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Not sure why it's asking for TextWrangler, but to get the file where you can do something with it, right-click the icon and select Save to Downloads Folder.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-16 17:32:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I think unzipping is built into OS X, without needing an external program.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Mon 18-Jul-16 17:01:44
Print Post

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions.
Nothing seemed to work, so Library decided to post me a DVD containing the pdf file.
That worked fine.
Glad that we still have ye olde Mac Book Pro with a CD/DVD drive - latest MBPs appear to no longer have these drives.

PS
British Library seems to sub contract the job of copying documents to an "expert" firm, who's idea of customer service is to send a message "We recommend CHROME browser".
Nothing against CHROME but I prefer to not clutter up our MAC with unwanted software.
  Print Thread

Jump to