Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oskar_DiLondra
(newbie) Sun 21-Aug-16 00:00:00
Print Post

Issues on Macbook Pro with a TalkTalk router

[link to this post]

Hi, completely new to any of this, but my internet connection is becoming rather infuriating, as it occasionally just stops and starts again, which normally would be fine, but as I game quite a bit online, disconnecting is not something I enjoy experiencing, here are the details:

- It happens at any time, not linked to any specific period or a trigger.
- It happens on some devices and not others, which makes me think it's more of a computer issue than a router/ broadband one. (e.g. My laptop will disconnect but my iPhone won't, but it does happen to different devices)
- The "Internet" and "WLAN" lights on my TalkTalk router are almost constantly flashing.
- Live in Stratford-upon-avon
- I have a two-connection master Socket, except the Broadband connection is labelled BT, does that mean that a BT router is more likely to work with the socket?
- I think it tends to be later at night, but that may just be because I am gaming / on the computer more at that time.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me,
Oskar
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-16 00:26:14
Print Post

Re: Issues on Macbook Pro with a TalkTalk router

[re: Oskar_DiLondra] [link to this post]

The first thing that you need to establish is who and what is using your Internet connection. Can you find a page on your router configuration menu that shows connected devices? Please note that I know nothing about TalkTalk routers (or Apple kit for that matter).

Edit: Assuming you're with TalkTalk, you can use any modem/router that you like but the one that you have may well be fine.

Edited by micksharpe (Sun 21-Aug-16 00:36:58)

(newbie) Sun 21-Aug-16 00:38:10
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I don't know much either XD
I can't find anything that says that, but the devices in my house would be, at most:
1 Macbook Pro
3 iPhones
2 iPads
1 iMac (Connected by ethernet, not on all the time)
all the other devices tend to be constantly on, but the person with one of the iPads and one of the iPhones is not here a lot of the time. Sorry I'm not much help...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-16 00:41:41
Print Post

OK. I really want to make sure that no one is stealing your bandwidth. Is your wireless connection encrypted? If so, do you know what type of encryption you are using, and do you have a strong password?
(newbie) Sun 21-Aug-16 00:45:47
Print Post

It says:
Wireless security: WPA/WPA2 mixed mode
And the password is the password that came with the router, I believe that's pretty strong?
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-16 01:06:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oskar_DiLondra:
And the password is the password that came with the router, I believe that's pretty strong?
Maybe. I'm concerned that you say that the activity lights on your router are constantly flashing. If you turn all your wireless devices and computers off, do they still flash? If so, that might indicate that someone else is using your connection.
(newbie) Sun 21-Aug-16 02:06:09
Print Post

I'll have to check tomorrow, when everyone else is awake, then I'll give you the results. Thank you so much for your help.
  Print Thread

Jump to