Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Sep-16 22:18:31
Print Post

Sierra...

[link to this post]

...seems to have given me an extra 30g of free space (without the "optimised storage" thingy which I think I will give time to mature for a bit before using). *strokes chin*

Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 24-Sep-16 22:33:23
Print Post

Re: Sierra...

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
...seems to have given me an extra 30g of free space
That's nice... and maybe a bit worrying tongue

ITunes did that to me once (by about 240GB) when I moved the library on to an external HDD... turned out that if the item was a purchased one it didn't bother with the copy but linked to the Cloud. As I didn't have a particularly high download allowance at the time, I wasn't impressed. Could it have done something similar?

Think I'll wait for the .1 release tongue

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Sep-16 12:47:51
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I've had a good look around and all seems to be present and correct. Makes me wonder if El Capitan had a big issue with rogue cache files or something that has been "quietly" fixed..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 25-Sep-16 14:02:59
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Some possibilities here, maybe.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sat 22-Oct-16 15:07:11
Print Post

"THINK I'LL WAIT FOR THE .1 RELEASE"

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx
"Firefox support has ended for Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8"
After getting news of loss of support for Firefox I looked into updating OS from 10.8.5 to SIERRA 10.12, as that would have updated Safari and could cope with updated Firefox, with the overall aim of improving security.

BUT after reading the "osxdaily.com" paragraph below, I think I will also be waiting for OSX 10.12.1 version.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/24/troubleshooting-macos...
For me personally, updating a 2015 13″ Retina MacBook Pro to macOS Sierra from OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 has proven to be an unusual headache. As seen in this article, the problems have been pervasive and arrived as a deluge, with one issue appearing after the other. (For some background, I run a very vanilla and boring OS for my work machine with very few third party apps on this Mac). Ultimately I have reinstalled macOS Sierra and things are working more smoothly (at the moment anyway) but if the same variety of problems crop up again IÕll either perform a clean install or downgrade back to El Capitan and wait until 10.12.1 comes out (which is currently under beta development). Some Mac users routinely wait for the first major point release to install a major software update anyway. ThereÕs certainly nothing wrong with that conservative approach to software updates, but obviously in the interim youÕd be missing out on any of the great new features in macOS Sierra.
END QUOTE

"Sierra and die?"
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Naples
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Mon 24-Oct-16 23:33:41
Print Post

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

There's always some bad reports when a big update arrives but most people, the silent majority usually plod on without problems. It's not a bad policy to wait until a .1 release unless you really need to upgrade. I can't upgrade this time as my Mac Pro 09 is deemed too old.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 00:32:44
Print Post

.1 is out.

Print Thread

Jump to