Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 20:02:27
Print Post

iOS-10.1 Frustrations!

[link to this post]

Have just carried out the update to iOS-10.1, on my iPad-Air2.

Nothing was declared (other than bug-fixes) that was obviously going to concern/affect me - hence I go ahead!!

After completion, it asks me about "Completion"!

Firstly, it starts by telling me that it now wants "2 factor Authentication" (or something like that)!

It gives you a very minimal explanation, but does supply a URL Link for further info!!

But, but, but, its NOT allowing me to get into the device until I complete the set-up (which includes it) - hence a URL Link is pointless!!

I then discover that I'm required to supply Apple with my Mobile Number!! Sorry, but I'm NOT happy with that!!

However I eventually concede & I attempt to put it in!!

For various practical reasons (mainly associated with the way a certain digit repeats itself) it is MUCH, MUCH simpler to enter (& verify) it as:- 07xx xxx xxxx, rather than 07xxxxxxxxx. The latter version requiring a lot more effort to double-check it is right!!

Surprise, surprise, Apple refuses to accept the "Easy-to-verify" version!!

After getting through that, it then tells me that it has sent a 6-digit PIN (via my Mobile), which I'm supposed to enter. Interestingly it describes the 6-digit PIN as:- xxx xxx.

So they want a 6-digit PIN to include a space (for clarity & checking) but think an 11-digit phone number doesn't require clarity/checking!!

After 5-mins of waiting & waiting & waiting (as well as double & triple checking that I've entered the correct number), I come to the conclusion that I'm NOT going to get any PIN!!

Hence I now have to reverse back &, eventually, discover that I can ignore the so-called "2 factor Authentication".

Try again without "2 factor Authentication"!!

This time it tells me that I've got the Password Wrong - I find this surprising as I did double-check it!! Try re-entering again from scratch - this time it accepts.

Next it tells me that it requires a Photograph of my Credit Card (apparently so that I can used Fingerprint identification to log into my device).

Sorry, but I'm NOT giving away my Credit Card details!

Anyway, fingerprint identification NEVER works for me (I thought I had disabled it) because I have "corrupted/destroyed" fingerprints!!.

Eventually managed to skip that!!

Can't remember if I was asked for anything else but, if I was, I managed to skip that as well!

After, what seemed like a very long time (with a lot of unnecessary effort/frustration) I managed to get my iPad-Air2 up & running again!!

Regards,
John
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 20:24:45
Print Post

Re: iOS-10.1 Frustrations!

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I was sent an e-mail giving me a link to disable the two factor authentication and go back to the original system .

It was sent to the email associated with my Apple ID

Have you checked there ?

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 20:57:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I was sent an e-mail giving me a link to disable the two factor authentication and go back to the original system .

It was sent to the email associated with my Apple ID

Have you checked there ?

It did specifically state that it had sent it to my Mobile Number, citing the number! Although it gave it as 44 7xxxxxxxxx, rather than what I put it in as (07xxxxxxxxx).

However, I've just check both my declared contact email & the silly iCloud email - nothing in either of them!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 21:18:10
Print Post

Re: iOS-10.1 Frustrations - update!

The 6-digit PIN has just arrived - nearly 90 minutes after it was "allegedly" sent!

Are Apple seriously suggesting the Login should take 90 minutes!

Somehow I don't think I will be enabling this super-slow 2-factor Authentication!

Regards,
John
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 21:35:49
Print Post

Somehow I don't think I will be enabling this super-slow 2-factor Authentication!

Yep, it got the bums rush here too.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Oct-16 01:11:49
Print Post

The 6-digit PIN has just arrived - nearly 90 minutes after it was "allegedly" sent!
This is what happens when you apply software updates as soon as they come out. The verification servers would be getting hammered.

2FA has never presented a problem for me.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Oct-16 08:04:06
Print Post

On the credit card part are you sure it wasn't going through setting up Apple Pay? It sounds like as part of the setup process it assumed you would do Apple Pay as well in which case it can store your credit card in the local security chip by reading the number off with the camera.
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Wed 26-Oct-16 12:17:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Probably took you longer to type all that than get the iPad up and running.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Oct-16 15:32:03
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
2FA has never presented a problem for me.

Never been a problem for me, before - because I've NEVER been asked about it before!! wink

Regardless of whether it is a "Good, bad or indifferent" function, it does seem to be ill-thought out idea to "spring-it" onto a user without any advance notice & in a way that prevents the user from finding out any information about it!!

Regards,
John
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Oct-16 15:42:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
On the credit card part are you sure it wasn't going through setting up Apple Pay? It sounds like as part of the setup process it assumed you would do Apple Pay as well in which case it can store your credit card in the local security chip by reading the number off with the camera.

Possibly - although it was NOT obviously the case as it appeared to be talking about Touch-ID (something that I'm NOT able to use).

Have to be honest & say that I don't know too much about Apple Pay, but I thought that was something like Contactless-Cards, but using your iPhone - hence, don't understand the relevance of it on an iPad-Air2!!! Certainly I don't have an iPhone (& cannot see the possibility of wanting to own one).

Anyway, assuming it was a viable facility on an iPad-Air2, it does seem to be an ill-thought-out idea to spring it onto users WITHOUT giving them the chance to FULLY review & understand the Pros/Cons & to be able to read/digest the applicable T&Cs!!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to