Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Mon 02-Jan-17 15:33:52
Print Post

SIERRA AND DIE?

[link to this post]

After using OS 10.8.5 as a happy user, I was surprised today when a family user of Safari, browsing through a web site's comments, reported WARNINGS - YOU HAVE VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER displayed on screen.
Looked like an advert for MACKEEPER.

Rather than try to wrestle with those, it seemed better to at last update to SIERRA 10.12.2.

That seemed to go OK with the SIERRA mountain photo showing text block "DOWNLOADED".
And I had clicked on the INSTAL button.

BUT the 'About this mac' window still shows 10.8.5 - no sign of the new OS version on the hard disk.

How can I force the thing into action?

MAC BOOK PRO 2013

I have tried RESTART, but no joy.
HELP!
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jan-17 15:45:17
Print Post

Re: SIERRA AND DIE?

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Same as I have and it ran perfectly via the App Store - I presume that is what you are using - and it should work for everything later than 10.7.5

You could try the Combo updater: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1900?locale=en_GB (EDIT: Curses - that may be only for if you have updated to Sierra already)

(Ignore Mackeeper - it is scamware with adverts every bit as unethical as you describe)

Edited by ian_c (Mon 02-Jan-17 15:47:48)

Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Thu 05-Jan-17 21:14:55
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Thanks.
I got the downloaded SIERRA to instal once I found the 'sign in' box.

Seems to work sort of, though very sluggish compared with 10.8.5.

The weird thing is MAIL.
It works ok for 2 of my mail accounts, but rejects all attempts to use the remaining one,\Gives me bad news type messages about not recognising name or password.

Odd because another user has no problems with Mail - but does have an empty CONTACTS folder.

May still be some bugs in this version 10.12.2. ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Fri 06-Jan-17 11:20:29
Print Post

May have solved the MAIL oddity - at a price.

Using the problem email account the following warning message was shown.
QUOTE Online Status
There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account "zen.co.uk" or try again.
The server returned the error:Mail cannot send your password securely to the server. You can remove this restriction in the Accounts preferences by setting "Allow insecure authentication", which could put your password at risk.
END QUOTE.
I was not keen to "put my password at risk" so tried everything I could think of in the settings with no joy.
And when trying to send an email message the following was displayed
"Unable to verify account name or password".

NO PROGRESS.
Then I looked at an older G4 iBook Mail settings and there was "NO AUTHENTICATION" in Mail settings, so I would appear to have been at risk for years now.
So is it really a serious risk?

If so, where are the rules/guidelines for revising the Mail Settings?

I have changed the Mail setting for this account to "Allow insecure authentication" and it all seems to work normally for sending and receiving emails.

But am I on thin ice?

Edited by DIOGENES (Fri 06-Jan-17 11:23:30)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 06-Jan-17 11:31:03
Print Post

I think ZEN will tell you the RULES/GUIDELINES for MAIL settings e.g. https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/general-b...

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 06-Jan-17 11:32:35)

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Sat 07-Jan-17 02:06:12
Print Post

The sluggishness will probably disappear when the new OS has rebuild its spotlight database etc.
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sat 07-Jan-17 16:42:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for that good idea, to see ZEN article.
After struggling with the instructions for a while I contacted ZEN TECH SUPPORT by phone and they sorted it out for me.
  Print Thread

Jump to