Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Sep-17 11:40:47
Print Post

macOS High Sierra

[link to this post]

Anyone installed it yet?

Any thoughts? what new features do we get?

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Sep-17 13:41:41
Print Post

Re: macOS High Sierra

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

There's a fairly comprehensive review here: https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/09/macos-10-1...

I'll be leaving it a while; let others find any problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Standard User jpl1953
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 08:29:57
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

A word of caution.

I have two fairly recent iMACs and a MacBook air. As usual I started to update them as soon as. The MacBook air and one of the iMacs updated with no problems but the second one had a major issue. The update got so far and then stopped. I tried everything but couldn't get it to carry on. Eventually I started up in recovery mode to use the disk Utility - no joy it couldn't repair it. Ended up having to erase the drive and then install a fresh copy of High Sierra. Luckily all of the files I wanted on that Mac were backed up. Reminded me once again of the importance of backup!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Sep-17 08:51:48
Print Post

[re: jpl1953] [link to this post]

Due to the conversion of the file system it is even more important than usual to ensure a full backup before attempting this upgrade. Just one of the reasons why I'll wait and see.

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Sep-17 09:05:43
Print Post

The file system is only converted if you have a pure flash-drive based (eg SSD) system. And you don't get the option to decline!

HDDs, fusion drives and non-Mac volumes are left as they are.

Link

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Sep-17 12:20:54
Print Post

Just finished installing on a (fairly old- mid 2010) spare iMac.

Download was 4.8GB, installation took about 45 minutes or so. One worrying moment near the start; a long tone from the speaker and the display blanked for long enough for me to start worrying. But then it rebooted and carried on. Probably updating the NVRAM or something.

No other issues. Looks exactly the same as it did before, but About this Mac says it's running High Sierra and Safari has an Autoplay control in prefs so presumably the install worked smile

Haven't done any real testing as there's not much on it. I'll update this machine when it's more convenient.

Bill

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Sep-17 12:36:59
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Only converted automatically. You have the option tc convert a mechanical drive. (And you can prevent the update of an SSD, but you have to jump through a few hoops to do so.)

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Sep-17 12:48:51
Print Post

I'm pretty sure that was only the case in the betas. For the live version the option has been turned off.

Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Sep-17 13:01:43
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

It certainly didn't ask me if I wanted to convert my HDD file system (currently HFS+).

That particular machine hasn't got any external drives so I can't check if Disk Utility would allow me to convert them as this page implies.

Bill

Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Sep-17 13:33:39
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Found this.

Looks like APFS on anything but SSDs isn't yet ready for prime time.

Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to