Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 30-Nov-17 17:08:55
Print Post

Re: High Sierra bug

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
The current build number is 15063.729.
Thanks, that's even more cryptic than my MacOS build number tongue

I've been doing a bit of googling and came across this:
Windows 10 Will Be the Last Major Microsoft OS Release
I hadn't realised MS were going down that route... so (probably) no Windows 11 and (it wouldn't surprise me) no MacOS 11 either.

Just a series of point releases... should be a good thing. More "evolutionary" and less apps being broken by major OS updates if nothing else!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Dec-17 08:21:28
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It's primarily because MS will move to a subscription/cloud service - so you won't see update numbers but it will keep changing. Even if they no longer have major versions they could still have major changes.
Standard User Jay_Jay
(learned) Sat 09-Dec-17 09:28:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Just a series of point releases... should be a good thing. More "evolutionary" and less apps being broken by major OS updates if nothing else!

Can't really comment on Apple's releases but, generally, I disagree!!

A major release can be annoying but, when it occurs, you can go through it all & make sure that your Options/Settings are as you wish them to be. Also, if anything outlandish is introduced, there becomes such an outcry that it is soon shelved!

With this "Drip-Feed" approach to updates, various Options/Settings can be subtly changed (or even over-written) without you being aware of them!! Also you no longer get the same level of outcries objecting to outlandish changes!

Didn't I read something, on another Forum, where it was asserted that Microsoft routinely checks if Remote-Telemetry has been disabled &, if it has, it then re-enables it via the "routine" Security Updates??

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Mon 11-Dec-17 15:09:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
Windows is on sub-version 1703 (or 1709 for cutting-edge users).
- Are those "genuine" sub-versions or build numbers?

The Microsoft version numbers are when the major releases are produced: March 2017 (1703) / Sep 2017 (1709)

Next years are likely to be 1803 and 1809

ISP's:
Zen: 6mb down - .7mb up
JohnLewis BB: Cancelled
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - FTTC doing Design, live due by Oct 2018 - Phase CEO Escalation 19a - Huawei (Info from Codelook)
BCC Planning Portal Ref: 2017/09636/PA
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to