Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CecilWard
(learned) Sun 23-Sep-18 13:27:31
Print Post

Useful network info/analysis and security tool for iOS

[link to this post]

Am hoping that this is not off-topic here.

A quick plug for a very useful Swiss-army-knife multifunction network analysis tool for iOS: "Network Toolbox - Net Security" by Marcus Roskosch. Search for NET-Toolbox on the App Store. (How does one get a url for something in the App Store?)

This has a massive list of over 40 (!) different internet info, analysis and test tools plus a load of things related to security that you do not find anywhere. One really nice thing is the way that the tools are integrated, so you can switch from one to another very quickly and without having to reenter or copy-paste addresses. Most of these functions are things that I just cannot find anywhere else. I won’t list them all, The sheer number of functions available makes writing this review a problem, but I have to list just a very few: obvious things such as ping, traceroute, dns lookup; tools for debugging http servers; security test functions that are powerful and, as far as I know, rare features; various calculators; a ‘macro’ function which allows you to store snippets of text for use in the telnet ssh etc tools - these are just a few I can mention.

It supports IPv6. I am told, this is being upgraded right now to make it a bit more slick and easier to use.

It is very handy indeed having such a powerful range of test facilities on an iOS device. The developer has clearly thought about ways of automating practical common tasks that network admins need to do.

Edited by CecilWard (Sun 23-Sep-18 13:39:14)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Sep-18 15:23:05
Print Post

Re: Useful network info/analysis and security tool for iOS

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

I don't doubt that this is a useful tool, but I'm a little uneasy about these forums being used to advertise commercial applications.

Perhaps it would be OK as an answer to a specific query, but surely an unsolicited advertisement like this is just another form of Spam. But it doesn't bother me enough to report it as such.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Mon 24-Sep-18 09:39:41
Print Post

If you go to the app on the App Store click the three dot icon and it gives a share app option where you can copy the address.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CecilWard
(learned) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:23:41
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I have no connection to the development of the app, it was just something that I personally have found very useful indeed. I shared your concerns about spamming, and also the question of ‘tips’ it being off-topic for this particular area.

I could have done with some guidance in this, given how much I hate spamming.
Standard User CecilWard
(learned) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:27:44
Print Post

And in fact looking at the title again, "Apple issues" some people are starting to misuse this word mean problems or even bugs now, so if that is how it was intended as opposed to simply Apple issues ie matters or Apple-related, then my post was certainly obviously off-topic. Hence the first line thereof.
Standard User CecilWard
(learned) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:31:27
Print Post

A thought: reviews can be extremely useful. But they can exactly fall into this category and can be crypto-spam quite easily. Knowing what category to put genuine reviews in would be useful.
  Print Thread

Jump to