Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jay_Jay
(member) Sun 30-Dec-18 20:17:22
Print Post

Stupid iPad iOS update

[link to this post]

Yesterday I was trying to investigate the possibility of loading some Audio-books onto my wife's iPad (to give her something to listen to in Hospital).

I noticed that it was stating that an iOS update was waiting - other than taking time, these have always gone smoothly - accordingly I went ahead.

What a mistake!!

Went through its "normal" process &, when it came to the point of re-starting (i.e. with the Apple Icon with the sliding-bar underneath), it simply blanked out & refused to do anything else!

Obviously there is usually a short period of black-screen - hence I left it for a while. Came back to it, after about 30mins or so, still NOTHING!!

No matter what I did, for the next few hours, I got NOTHING!!

I had visions of trying to get it over to the nearest Apple Shop (approx 15miles away), but I really DON'T have the time - plus I suspect that the Holiday Period is not a good time to try!

Fortunately, my son was over (he tends to be more knowledgeable about Apple "things" than I am) so I asked him to take a look & take it home.

He had a quick look & still NOTHING, so he took it home!

When he had a chance to look at it, he immediately sent me a text (with a certain amount of relish - as Sons do when they feel that they can get one over on the "Old-Man") to say it is working.

But what had he done, I ask - NOTHING, was the reply!! When he got it home & opened it up it was fully working!!
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Dec-18 06:51:11
Print Post

Re: Stupid iPad iOS update

[re: Jay_Jay] [link to this post]

Updating any OS over the holiday period is generally to be avoided. Millions of people will be doing this with their shiny new iPones or iPads, bought as Xmas presents or in the sales,, killingwnload times on the Apple servers. So what normally takes 20 or 30 minutes can end up taking hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not to his own facts.
Standard User Jay_Jay
(member) Mon 14-Jan-19 17:19:26
Print Post

Just thought that I would give an update on this!!

Yesterday, my wife had been using the "offending" iPad - after she had finished, I put it on charge.

Some while later I checked to see how far it had charged - nothing, zilch!!

Nothing I did would make it work.

My son came over this morning & connected it to a PC Laptop (using iTunes) &, without him doing anything to correct anything, it sprung into life - he was able to confirm that the Battery was holding a 100% charge, hence, it didn't appear to be a Battery issue.

He then disconnected it & it immediately died!

Nothing would retrieve it.

Eventually we made an Appointment at our nearest Apple Store (which is not too far away).

When we arrived, it was still dead, whilst we were waiting, it did startup, but then died again.

When the Apple Tech looked at it, he was obviously puzzled, but he connected it to an Apple Mac Laptop & the iPad came to life - therefore making it possible to run diagnostics - which revealed everything in good working order.

He then suggested that he would reload all of the Software (including iOS) to return it to Factory-Status (on the assumption that some software corruption maybe causing the problem.

On doing so, he did notice that certain stages took much more than the expected duration & seemed to lock the iPad for a while, before continuing.

By the time all this had finished (including re-setting it up) the iPad "seemed" to be working! But I could tell that he was hesitant that it had actually cured anything. Basically he advised that, if it happened again, he would replace it without further question.

We left the Store & went to have a bite - on arrival, a quick check showed the iPad working - by the time we had finished eating, it had failed again!

Straight back to the Store & it was replaced without any further query!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Jan-19 17:40:09
Print Post

Straight back to the Store & it was replaced without any further query!!

They are very good like that.

My partners iPad had the home button pack up2 weeks after the 2 year warranty had expired, they still swapped it there and then.

Print Thread

Jump to