Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Dec-10 01:10:51
Print Post

Kindle 3 Reboots of its Own Accord

[link to this post]

Is this the best place for eBook Readers? Oh, well ...

The latest Kindle 3 has exhibited a fault whereby either it reboots itself spasmodically while reading a book or it freezes just whilst switched on or on stand-by, thereby requiring a manual reboot.

This is regardless of whether its wireless is switched on or not. My Kindle was trouble-free and excellent for about the first 2 months until not long after I bought a standard Amazon leather cover for it. Not long after it developed this fault which over time it has got more frequent. A firmware upgrade did not cure the problem.

It is believed, both by users and Amazon support staff, that the cover might be the cause, because its bottom metal pin clips into a slot of the Kindle that also acts as an electronic interface.

This weekend I have removed the cover and have had no problem at all.

Amazon Kindle Tech guys are working on the issue urgently.

From the length of time it went without trouble, I'm sure it is not a software problem and no amount of upgrades will cure it.

All the indications that it is a hardware fault. It sounds as though the cover needs a condom over one of its appendages smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Dec-10 10:36:09
Print Post

Re: Kindle 3 Reboots of its Own Accord

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have a standard Amazon cover for mine and it has two plastic lugs at the side. No metal pins at all anywhere. Have they changed the design?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Dec-10 10:55:18
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I'm told they look like plastic but are metal covered in a black coating. This does not apply to the lighted cover.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Dec-10 12:01:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I'm told they look like plastic but are metal covered in a black coating. This does not apply to the lighted cover.
Possibly. But it is this bit which intrigues me
its bottom metal pin clips into a slot of the Kindle that also acts as an electronic interface.
There is nothing on my cover which clips into any of the bottom connectors. Would be a bit silly and make it awkward to use if it did.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Dec-10 12:39:17
Print Post

Where are the lugs that you spake of? Where do they go?

I am talking about 2 slots in the LH side of the Kindle which take 2 lugs (or pins) on the inside of the spine of the cover. It is the bottom one of this pair that is referred to. I know with the lighted cover that one of these slots provides the battery power to the cover, but for the unlighted cover should have null effect. That is where the problem must lie.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Dec-10 14:23:01
Print Post

Now I am confused. Yes the lugs are on the LH side but the interface socket is on the bottom edge.

Edit: I think I understand now. You mean the bottom lug on the lighted version of the cover takes its power from where it hooks into Kindle. In which case I suggest the cover is faulty as yours is the first I have heard of a problem with. I am not taking my cover off to check as it was quite fiddly to get it to fit on properly. Maybe that is the problem, it is not hooked up properly?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Edited by gomezz (Mon 13-Dec-10 14:28:25)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Dec-10 15:04:53
Print Post

No, this is a widespread and well-known problem. See here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/kindle/forum?cdThread=Tx...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/kindle/forum?cdThread=Tx...

and more in the US, I'm told.

Or just Google "kindle reboot".

As I said in OP, Amazon Kindle Support are well aware of the problem and have admitted to me that it is an issue with the unlighted cover only.

EDIT: Ah, I've just seen. The "interface" I was using was just an electrical connection (was just quoting someone else); nowt to do with the connectors on bottom of Kindle.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 13-Dec-10 15:10:41)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Dec-10 15:29:07
Print Post

Just now seen a poster over on Digital Spy with this problem. Now why has this issue only just come to light? Smacks to me of a recent design change or a bad manufacturing batch.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Dec-10 15:35:09
Print Post

Seems to be around since beginning Sept. About the time Kindle 3 was introduced?

Perhaps, like me, not everyone buys a cover immediately. Bought mine about 1 month later.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Dec-10 01:54:35
Print Post

Had call from Amazon Kindle Tech. Sup. today, saying they've narrowed it down to some Amazon covers; a bit hit and miss whether any particular cover does it. My view is that it a bit hit and miss how the lugs sit in the slots.

Anyway, they offered me full refund on the cover & £20 credit, to return cover and buy another. As it is random as to which cover, if I buy same type of cover and it turns out to be faulty, same rules will apply.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to