Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 09:23:00
Print Post

Keep taking the tablets M$

[link to this post]

Intel and Microsoft having their noses pushed out according to this! smile

According to the print version of Saturday's Guardian the PC is dead, long live the Tablet!!

Andrew
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 11-Jan-11 10:24:55
Print Post

Re: Keep taking the tablets M$

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

And about time too, IMO.. grin

Thanks for the article.. Good sum up of most of what I read on Engadget's saturation coverage.. smile

On the iPad2 front, I think people are underestimating what Apple are going to release.. The cameras are a given, but Apple needs to up the ante, considering the great looking competition that is in the works (the Xoom, a great case in point). Most analysts talking about the iPad2 are saying Apple didn't do much in moving from the 1st gen iPhone to the 3G or even the 3GS, but that is because Apple had almost no competition in that market. The Tegra2 chip and the Qualcomm Snapdragon has give all the other manufacturers a leg up and Apple are going to struggle to hang on to market share if the iPad2 does not have a good amount of updated features (better resolution, faster CPU, more RAM, etc)..
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 10:42:38
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Well, just to test the concept I have ordered one of these.

Not wishing to invest too much money at this stage as I might not like the idea of a handful of screen and no keyboard (although one is an option). I even found a UK based forum to help me out!

It might turn out to be a useless bit of kit but then I collect useless bits of kit. That's what Ebay is for grin

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 11-Jan-11 11:00:47
Print Post

Cool, let us know how it works out..

I suspect there is a forum for everything in this world!! grin
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 11:14:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spasch:
Cool, let us know how it works out..

I will smile
I suspect there is a forum for everything in this world!! grin

True, but this one is this side of the Pond for a change smirk

Andrew
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jan-11 10:13:44
Print Post

First impressions of the Scroll Tablet good! Resistive touch screen quite acceptable (although I have never tried a capacitive version). OS is designed for phones but that can be easily ignored and unwanted apps disabled. Seems very responsive with its 800 MHz chip in fact better than my 1.6 GHz netbook running Linux. WiFi sensitivity not great, on screen image quality good. Currently having problems with the Android Market that the Scroll no longer seems to support but dozens of very useful applications can be found elsewhere. One minor criticism is when the virtual keyboard pops up it embraces the whole screen and hides whatever you are typing into.

Android v2.1 loaded that does not support Flash of course, but an upgrade to 2.2 is in the pipeline apparently and much faster. Worth a try and even Tesco Direct now sell it for less than I paid!

btw: Plays BBC iPlayer nicely wink

Andrew
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jan-11 12:26:00
Print Post

I don't know about anyone else but if I got a tablet I would want a cover for it to protect the screen while it was not in use and being carted around either in my hand or in a bag. Would be handy to have the cover built in to the tablet perhaps using a hinge. Now if they moved the screen into the inside of the screen that would leave room for a full-size keyboard too. Do you think they will ever make a tablet which has all that built in? wink

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Jan-11 13:19:43
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

do you mean something like this? smile

"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Jan-11 13:51:05
Print Post

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

A swivel too far.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 18-Jan-11 21:32:12
Print Post

Thanks for the update..

Engadget is reporting that HP is going to be releasing 2 new tablets this year, a 7 inch model and a 9 inch model..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to