Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cblymie
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 14:45:27
Print Post

HTC Wildfire - YouTube Android app won't work with WiFi

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just got a HTC Wildfire - got most things working on it (it's my first smartphone, so taking a wee bit of getting used to) but I've found an odd problem with YouTube. It works with fine with my 3G connection, but not with WiFi. General internet browsing, facebook app etc, work fine with WiFi, so it's not a general problem.

Anyone else come across this? I've googled the problem and all I can find is the opposite - people who can get YouTube to work with their router, but not their 3G connection.

If it's any help, my wireless router is the O2 box II - could it be a problem with a setting on that?

All input gratefully accepted...

(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 13:17:41
Print Post

Re: HTC Wildfire - YouTube Android app won't work with WiFi

[re: cblymie] [link to this post]

Same phone and problem here. I've set YouTube as favourite on my browser (xscope) and use that instead now. Do you have android 2.2 FroYo installed? Can't remember when the issue with the app started.

O2 HomeStd LLU & Home Phone, Netgear 834GT, DGTeam v1012/023o
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-11 10:18:05
Print Post

I got the same phone yesterday, and I just tried it and got the same problem, not that I will use it for you Tube.

Still getting used to the phone, more confusing than the old windows based mobile I had a year ago.

I keep going to thing I don't want to, I presume I will get used to it

The thing that annoyed me is that it put all my facebook contacts into the contacts list, I thought it would have been a separate list

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cblymie
(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 21:09:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sort of glad it's not just me/I haven't got a faulty phone. I do have Android 2.2 Froyo installed.

I've got much more used to everything on the phone now, but the youtube WiFi problem persists. It's not a major problem, just occasionally would like to be able to click on a link from an email or facebook etc.

To zyborg47 - I found the haptic feedback to be particularly fierce on the wildfire and found it a lot easier to get used to the phone altogether once I'd switched it off. I don't much like the way it adds facebook contacts into my contact list either.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-11 08:12:03
Print Post

imine have 2.2, but then it should as it is new and i think 2.2 been out for a while. thankfully vodafone have more or less left the phone alone, no branding apart from first switch on and no Vodafone Apps.
I even update the You tube App and it still don't work, maybe it a way the mobile phone service providers can make more money smile

I am getting used to it now, nearly phoning my Dad up at 2 in the morning was not a good idea, lucky I just noticed it before it rang.

I got the people I call often on my favorites page and got it so it displays the contact info and not phone. I can then choose what I want to do.

Not a bad little phone to be honest, I read some reviews and they did not put it in a good light. I think they compared it to the more expensive HTC like the Desire. The screen is clear enough, the phone seems well made and is pretty responsive. I had a small touch phone since last year and I found using it was easier on my fingers, a lot of keypad phones seems stiff.

Still thinking why the hell did I do this for as it is costing me £15 a month more than my old plan.

I also did not think I wanted a smart phone, always been one of these people who thinks a phone is a phone and that is it, but I must admit I enjoyed being able to update,my facebook and see what was happening when I was having a break at work.

500mb may be a bit limited, it don't seem much, but maybe on a phone it is fine, I use Wi-fi when I am at home.

Thanks for the info about the haptic feedback, I have turned it off, not sure if I prefer it on or off.

Adrian

Standard User spokes
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 09:31:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I am getting used to it now, nearly phoning my Dad up at 2 in the morning was not a good idea, lucky I just noticed it before it rang.

Take a look at the callconfirm app, asks for confirmation before making the connection.

O2 HomeStd LLU & Home Phone, Netgear 834GT, DGTeam v1012/023o
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Mar-11 23:23:03
Print Post

[re: spokes] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by spokes:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:

Take a look at the callconfirm app, asks for confirmation before making the connection.

Cheers, great, ideal.

Adrian

Standard User cblymie
(member) Thu 05-May-11 12:43:49
Print Post

The problem seems to have been resolved with recent updates to the YouTube app. Just thought I'd mention it.

Jump to