Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 01-Mar-11 15:03:13
Print Post

Tablets & Pads

[link to this post]

Anyone bought a tablet/*pad lately? If so, what did you buy?

Anyone considering buying one in the near future?

I will admit I like the iPad (although the rumour mill regarding new features in tomorrow's announcement leave a lot to be desired), and having an iPhone makes it an obvious choice. I liked the look of the Motorola Xoom until I read the review, which was not exactly glowing (admittedly mostly about Honeycomb) and the HP Touchpad looks nice, but not knowing anything about how well WebOS is going to to behave, along with a potential lack of apps, a late delivery timescale and an unknown price kind of puts it at the bottom of the pile.

What are others opinions??
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 18:35:10
Print Post

Re: Tablets & Pads

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Just bought a Galaxy Tab! smile I love it, fast and can't find anything that wont work, yet. The iPad IMO is too big, you might as well buy a netbook, for less.

I also have a Scroll tab from Storage Options. This only runs Android v2.1 so lacks many useful functions but is a good way to explore the Android concept. Cheaper @ Maplin btw wink

Andrew
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 01-Mar-11 20:27:08
Print Post

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Actually, I rather like the size of the iPad & Xoom - mostly because I want something for use on the train (especially as I have a 2 hour commute each way at the moment), but I don't want a keyboard.. Personally, I think the Galaxy Tab is a bit overpriced..

The Scroll looks good for the price, though.. Although, I am a little wary of Android 2.1 as a friend of mine bought an Archos 101 last year, and it kept crashing and dropping his home network connection - he was not impressed. If I was to go Android, it would have to be Honeycomb..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 20:34:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spasch:
Personally, I think the Galaxy Tab is a bit overpriced..

I paid £360

The Scroll looks good for the price, though.. Although, I am a little wary of Android 2.1 as a friend of mine bought an Archos 101 last year, and it kept crashing and dropping his home network connection - he was not impressed.

Had no problems like that with it. Good value and easy to "adapt". Want to buy one, complete with keyboard/case? wink wink wink

Andrew
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 01-Mar-11 20:38:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrew_W:
I paid £360
Wow, that's a pretty good price
In reply to a post by Andrew_W:
Had no problems like that with it. Good value and easy to "adapt". Want to buy one, complete with keyboard/case? wink wink wink
Thanks, but no.. grin
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 08:21:09
Print Post

Wow, that's a pretty good price

Amazon UK. Their price was oscillating up and down by 100 quid so bagged it on a downer smile

btw, you could if you wish, spend £800 on a refurbished item at Amazon wink

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_W (Wed 02-Mar-11 08:24:01)

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-11 14:23:20
Print Post

And just when you think Android is looking good, stories like this pop up. frown
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 15:12:07
Print Post

Yes, I had heard about that! Happens with any OS where there are morons with nothing better to do wink

Andrew
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 07:52:47
Print Post

Agreed. frown

Watched the iPad2 launch - makes me even more tempted to get one. 8.8mm thick is very impressive and I rather like the little magnetic cover/stand they showed off. smile
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 11:41:40
Print Post

But what would you use it for? Too big and chunky to carry around in your pocket. Too crippled to do the job of a laptop.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to