Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Sat 02-Apr-11 09:49:57
Print Post

Need a FREE music player can read SD for my Andriod Tablet!

[link to this post]

I am looking for a FREE, but reasonably good, music player (ideally with an integrated video player as well) designed for Andriod OS which can 1) be configured to default reading songs stored in my external SD card, instead of from my tablet internal memory, and 2) play at least MP3 songs for my recently possessed cheap tablet installed with Andriod v2.2 FW! I have been trying different Apps downloaded from the "Market" site but they seemed to be all defaulting to read songs stored in my internal memory instead, and current I can only use my File Browser to open the MP3 songs stored in my SD card to play it. I have to repeat this reading process each time I wanted to play the next song, which is a pain really!!
Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 15:17:18
Print Post

Re: Need a FREE music player can read SD for my Andriod Tabl

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

A "cheap" tablet with v2.2? Wonder which one that is wink

For MP3, I use Winamp and since I do not have any music other than on my ext SD card it finds it straight away.

The only slight problem I have is that CoPilot is also on the ext SD card so if I select "Songs" in Winamp it brings up a list of all the spoken directions in all languages in CoPilot frown

I could move CP to the main memory and that should solve that!

Andrew
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Sun 03-Apr-11 10:27:07
Print Post

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, Andrew!
It was an unbranded tablet manufactured in China and was given to me as a gift from my best friend! This tablet has all the basic features of most branded tablets, such as a front-facing camera, Mic, HDMI and USB ports, external micro SD card slot, 4GB internal flash memory and finally a WiFi port. However its User Manual is pathetically useless and I had to experiment with this tablet control myself painfully slow.
Now I got most the hang of it but still being stuck at finding a satisfactory Music Player which can either manually, or automatically, find all my MP3 songs stored in an external micro SD card which I created in an PC.I did install v1.0.2 WinAmp myself in the tablet but either it cannot, or I didn't understand HOW to configure it myself, my installed WinAmp still could not find the songs stored in my external SD card even I had tried: installing all my songs in the Root directory or a specific Music folder in my SD card.
However I can manually play any one of these MP3 songs if I browsed through the folder with a File-Browser and opened a specific songs myself. So, Andrew,, may I ask HOW did you configure your Winamp (what version??) to have found your songs, or create your actual Playlist in your external SD card because I couldn't find its "configuration Menu" myself. I had experimented with: Artist, Albums, Songs, Genres, Playlists, Free music, search and Histories in my WinAmp but none of them appeared to be supporting what I wanted.
Many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 17:49:27
Print Post

Thanks for the info on your Chinese (isn't everything?) tablet.

All I did was copy my music folder to an SD card on my PC. This folder I called Music (for some reason wink ) and installed it in the root. I then downloaded Winamp v 1.0.2 on my tablet and moved it to the SD card. I didn't have to configure Winamp at all.

However, I have just tried the indigenous Music app and much to my surprise, under 'Artists' it lists all the contents of my music folder on the left of the display and on the right all the spoken commands from my sat-nav app confused. In any event, it plays whatever I select.

Andrew
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Mon 04-Apr-11 09:19:41
Print Post

"All I did was copy my music folder to an SD card on my PC. This folder I called Music (for some reason ) and installed it in the root. I then downloaded Winamp v 1.0.2 on my tablet and moved it to the SD card. I didn't have to configure Winamp at all"

I did exactly the same for my MP3 music files! However during my Winamp installation from the "Market Place", it didn't give me any choice of installing to other location EXCEPT my internal memory (I guessed)! So could you tell me HOW did you move your installed Winamp from your internal memory to your SD card please, bearing in mind that my tablet's User Guide is next to useless so I can not figure any hints of doing that in my tablet! It sounds that you have to move your Winamp Player to the SAME root directory as your music files, i.e your SD card in this case, in order to anto-find your music files!!
Thanks

Edited by OCdragon (Mon 04-Apr-11 09:22:39)

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 11:04:46
Print Post

OK> Select the app 'Settings', go to Applications/Manage Applications and find Winamp. There should then be the option to move it to the SD Card.

That works on my Galaxy Tab running Android v2.2 but it doesn't work on v2.1. If the option to move an app is 'greyed out' then it either means it's already on the SD card or cannot be moved.

Andrew
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Mon 04-Apr-11 12:58:24
Print Post

I followed preciously what you have recommended and guessed what: I have NO such a "Move menu" at all, otherwise I would have tracked it down because I had tried that before! That may mean I still have a V2.1 Andriod OS rather than V2.2! I tried on other Music Player such as Doubletwist, and it is the same that I have no such a "Move" menu.
Feeling a bit unhappy now!!

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 13:53:49
Print Post

I did wonder when you said you had a cheap tablet with v2.2! If you go back to Settings, scroll down to 'About Device' or similar at the bottom of the list, it should show you the version of Android installed.

AFAIK you can't install apps on the SD card in v2.1 using the tablet, you have to use your PC.

Andrew
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Mon 04-Apr-11 14:55:26
Print Post

"If you go back to Settings, scroll down to 'About Device' or similar at the bottom of the list, it should show you the version of Android installed"

Hi, Andrew,
Previously I did that as above, and my tablet did say V2.2 firmware installed though! That is why I mentioned Andriod v2.2 installed in my very first message. However, I have just found out (less than 15minutues ago) an alternative Application called "MymusicOn" music player which can support exactly what I wanted, i.e. it can be configured to any "Startup" folder in my SD card and in my case it is the "music" folder. I can even select to play a single file or the whole folder as well. So as my problem is now solved irrespective of my tablet's OS is V2.1 or 2.2!! You may try that App. too to see what do you think of it.
Cheers for all your previous suggestions.

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-11 16:16:29
Print Post

Very odd but pleased you've found something that works!

I have two Android devices with 2.1 installed and they are both different in terms of commands and functions like any OS I suppose. I am about to 'root' one of them and attempt to delete a load of junk apps wink

Andrew
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to