Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Oct-11 22:54:44
Print Post

Do you use AV\security software on your smartphone?

[link to this post]

Not sure how many replies there will be as this forum appears to be....somewhat....dead, but oh well here goes.

Do you use AV\Security software on your smartphone?

Personally i picked up my first smartphone a few months back and have trialled a few mobile AV suites, both pay and freeware. They seem quite resource demanding, moreso than PC equivelants, at least in my experience [of a modern smartphone].

So i'm wondering if most people here don't actually bother with it on their smartphones. Consumer mobile Security is the new front apparently[?].

Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Thu 06-Oct-11 23:05:47
Print Post

Re: Do you use AV\security software on your smartphone?

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

Hi, I have an HTC Desire android os and use Lookout. Its free with a couple of nice features. It backs up your contacts automatically which you can access through the website and restore to your phone if you have wiped it ( I have had to use this once and worked well just missed a few contacts which may have been a reception issue). Also there is a feature if you have misplaced your phone and it is on silent you activate your phone through the wbsite to sound so you can locate it! This is in the free version. I think the pro version allows you to back up more than contacts.

I dont use my phone for anything demanding and I havent noticed the software being too demanding. I get about 36 hours out of a full charge which isnt too bad considering I have BT and WiFi permently enabled on the phone. I wouldn't be a heavy user on the phone.

Hope this helps. If you haven't tried Lookout give it a go smile

Edited by NuttyMucker (Thu 06-Oct-11 23:07:25)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 08:03:18
Print Post

I use Blackberrry Protect on my Torch and its just saved me hours of grief this week smile

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hnicole
(newbie) Mon 31-Oct-11 01:17:45
Print Post

I have a samsung galaxy s and have lookout installed on it as well. I am not really that much moved into subscribing to a paid antivirus program as I think that it is already good to have some level of security into it. With all my experience in mobile computing, I have not experienced any problem with it yet so I think I am already good with what I have now.
Standard User BP1
(committed) Mon 31-Oct-11 17:23:41
Print Post

I have a HTC Wildfire and also use Lookout. It seems quite litght and do the job.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User concer
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-11 04:03:24
Print Post

Re: Do you use AV\security software on your smartphone? *DELETED*

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Post deleted by billford
Standard User olwardwilson29
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 05:58:11
Print Post

Re: Do you use AV\security software on your smartphone? *DEL *DELETED*

[re: concer] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman

Edited by olwardwilson29 (Tue 20-Nov-12 05:59:22)

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sun 25-Nov-12 13:51:19
Print Post

Re: Do you use AV\security software on your smartphone? *DEL

[re: olwardwilson29] [link to this post]

I can only assume you respond in a thread that died over a year ago to post the link.

Desist please.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 20-Dec-12 09:21:04
Print Post

This thread is pretty dead for sure, but it did get a recent spamming bringing it towards the top of the forum.

I have Kaspersky Enterprise Security 8 on all the family Android devices, though that was an easy choice because we have a business Kaspersky licence for our existing infrastructure anyway (home based business) and the Android devices simply take advantage of spare capacity on that licence.

I'm not going to delude myself that it will make much of a difference - the most important thing on any device is to follow safe computing practice, though it does scan APKs before installation and it is scanning network traffic.

There are some nice features relating to loss or theft, assuming that the SIM isn't removed or the device turned off (as we PIN protect our SIMs). You can send an encrypted text to discover the GPS location of the device, lock it or wipe it remotely. As we password protect and encrypt our devices, the data is effectively unrecoverable anyway once the device is turned off, which is all that really matters. Devices can be replaced.

I'm not sure I'd spend much money on a security suite for a tablet or smartphone, especially as many manufacturers build in some or all of this functionality (Samsung certainly do, though it's not quite as slick as Kaspersky's implementation).
  Print Thread

Jump to