Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:22:45
Print Post

Advice on ebook readers please.

[link to this post]

Does anyone provide good advice / links on a decent ebook reader, please?

Portable - essential, as is good battery life.

Back-lit - preferred (switchable for night-time only really).

Have seen some before that looks like you 'turn' pages by swiping the virtual pages.

any ideas / link / recommendations greatly appreciated.

TIA folks. .smile

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Nov-11 14:13:23
Print Post

Re: Advice on ebook readers please.

[re: Guest_Again] [link to this post]

You can either have good battery life and a good user experience or you can have it back-lit with poor battery life and not so good a user experience.

Still very happy with my Kindle.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Thu 03-Nov-11 16:42:49
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

That is fair enough - it's best with good battery life, and that's that.

My Mum was asking about this, and I don't have a clue about them. A Kindle shall do nicely.

Any point in the one with the keyboard?

TVM for the advice, gomezz. wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Thu 03-Nov-11 16:47:14
Print Post

It isn't backlit but... the Kindle.. 100% its amazing. Bought my wife one for Xmas last year, just bought the one without the keyboard for myself.
Standard User andygegg
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 17:32:49
Print Post

My wife and I both got Kindles to take on holiday (3 weeks) - lots of reading, needed charging once because we didn't turn off the WiFi bit. Easy to read and load up, some of the free books are pretty good. My wife has dreadful eyesight but upping the font size made it really easy, in bright sun she could just about get away without her glasses. The keyboard is not particularly useful but it lets you put a password on the device if that's of any interest, and to type in words to search for - doing it with the '5-way' control would be a real pain. Also allows some web browsing but it's pretty awful at present. Personally, I think I'd stick to the keyboard model. Strictly for demographic reference (since it's for your Mum), we're both in our 60's, my wife is not particularly PC literate and she got on really well with her Kindle.

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime!
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Nov-11 23:00:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Guest_Again:
i]Any point in the one with the keyboard?
It was the only model available until recently so that was the one I got. Useful for browsing the web but it is very rudimentary and a pain beyon doing a brief email / news / weather check although I have used it at motorsports events to show the live timing screen.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Nov-11 00:32:49
Print Post

The Kindle is brilliant!

The battery lasts for ages if you don't switch the wireless on (for connecting to Web), and even if you do it's not too bad.

It's no great bother pressing a button to turn pages and it saves a helluva lot of power over swiping the virtual pages to turn them.

I find the keyboard useful for searching back in the book I'm reading to find names/events that I've forgotten, as well as using it for a bit of web browsing, like checking my emails while I'm on holiday or even internet banking to move cash into my Euros supplying account.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Nov-11 08:21:29
Print Post

Kindle is good, there are other ebook readers from Sony etc but not sure what they are like. I believe even Asda brought one out recently! I`ve had a look at the one with out keybaord and that is probably all you need if your going to read! As others have said battery life is long which is what you want.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Nov-11 11:32:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The other advantage of not swiping the screen to turn pages etc is that it keeps it cleaner with no greasy finger marks.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Nov-11 09:05:15
Print Post

I got a Kobo, from WHsmith, light, good battery life, loads of books from Kobo. Lots of free books.

some people say it is a bit slow at changing pages, but I don't find it so. I got the Kobo because I could try it out in Smiths.

Back-lit is a bad idea for ebook readers as your eyes will strain, it will be like watching a computer monitor for a long time without a break.

E-ink is the best to go for.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to