Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 23-Apr-12 14:06:52
Print Post

Nokia N8: "silly" query

[link to this post]

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm trying to add an international number to my contact list on the N8. I want to put a "+" in front of the number, because I believe this then instructs the phone to automatically use the "exit code" for whatever country I'm in when I dial it (even if I wasn't at home in the UK).

I already have other contacts in there with the international "+" in front, but these were imported from my previous phone.

Now, when I try to type in the number of a new contact manually, I can't find out how to put a plus in front of it. The star button (*) has a small plus on it as well, so I thought if I typed *, it might resolve to + on the screen.

No, it doesn't.

If I press the menu button, that, in a free text field, would give me the option to enter a symbol, it gives me only the option to change the writing language, or to access the user guide.

I don't want either of these.

How do I just put a + then?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 14:08:59
Print Post

Re: Nokia N8: "silly" query

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Press the * button twice. Thought this was common on all phones?

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 23-Apr-12 14:15:06
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Press the * button twice. Thought this was common on all phones?

Thanks for the prompt response: that fixed it. Doesn't matter if it is or isn't common. If you don't know the convention, it's no help. I don't remember how I entered them on my previous phone (also a Nokia), but can't remember scratching my head about it, or having to ask for help, so it must have been more intuitive I think.

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-12 14:34:32
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

To be fair the on-screen dialler on my 5800 has that button labelled as *+

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
  Print Thread

Jump to