Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 26-Jun-12 14:44:48
Print Post

Does activate Android's Navigation incurr "data usage"??

[link to this post]

I have very limited Data usage per month, i.e. 250MB, with T-Mobile for my Samsung S2, which is O.K for general e-mails and Facebook usages. But recently my dedicated Sat Nag device has gone down and I wanted to use my Galaxy S2 its built-in Android's Sat Navigation App. I am generally impressed with my S2 Navigation App. when I briefly used it outside, but my concerned is WHETHER it would use 3G from my T-mobile network at all which would break my 250MB monthly allowance, or it's purely communicating with the respective Sats. through its Sat Radio links, even for its Sat Nag background maps which would be required to be updated very frequently as I drive along and therefore would'nt affect my monthly allowance??
Thanks in advance for your comments!!

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 15:44:59
Print Post

Re: Does activate Android's Navigation incurr "data usage"??

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

Not familiar with the Samsung Navigation App!

Generally the GPS doesnt use 3G data unless it is using data for fast synchronisition which should only occur when it gets it first lock - you can do this with your WIFI instead.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus which doesnt has this application - does it have on-board maps as TomTom etc do or is the routing data obtained from the network (WIFI or 3G in the same way as Google Maps does?

Google maps will copy all of the route before you set off so you can use WiFi rather than 3G and the routing will work without needing data. The Samsung app may be the same.

All you need to do is switch off the data connections (both 3G and WiFi) and see if the Samsung app still works - if yes it is obviously fine.

Failing that set up the route with WiFi and then switch 3G and WiFi off - does it still work. It it does then again it should be fine.

Personally I think the 250MB limit on a phone such as this is extremely limiting but obviously this is down your choice / limitations etc.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:19:24
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

"does it have on-board maps as TomTom etc do or is the routing data obtained from the network (WIFI or 3G in the same way as Google Maps does?"

Thank you for answering! I would have guessed that my Galaxy S2's Navigation might be indeed the Google's Navigation, rather than Samsung's own Navigation App. As such my S2 may require downloading what you said its route data prior to setting the suggested navigation route off. I have tried disabling both WiFi and 3G and relying on Sat connection and it seemed to take forever time to "locating my position", as such I closed the program. I should have tried re-enabling my WiFi but disabling 3G while at home and see how it may affect the S2 Navigation loading instead.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:36:18
Print Post

Is there not a separate setting to turn "Assisted GPS" on or off separately from turning 3G on or off totally? This is what uses a tiny amount of data to speed up the initial positioning lock. Or at least it does on my Nokia Ovi GPS app which does not need to download humongous amounts of map and route data every time you use it which is the way I understand Google Maps to work.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:19:50
Print Post

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-maps-for-andr...
The offline mode has only just been added.
I bought TomTom for my iPhone4 which has all of Western Europe to avoid the data charges when travelling.

The GPS satellites only provide a timing and location reference, by also using wifi and 2G/3G the phone can speed this information up, with very little data use.

It is the scrolling map that eats into data usage.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 29-Jun-12 09:22:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your info., it is quite appealing for this new Andriod Navigation App. as I could download the necessary maps using my WiFi at home prior to setting off my journey to cut down my data usages!!
Thanks

Print Thread

Jump to