Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Sep-12 17:19:24
Print Post

Why all the fuss about an iPhone

[link to this post]

Just don`t get it, its a hell of expensive, Samsung and HTC do nice phones for a fraction. Android OS seems decent enough and plenty apps to choose from?

PS Have a Blackberry myself and will be upgrading come new year to something other than a BB.

So whats the big deal? Why spend all that money, status symbol?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Sep-12 17:27:37
Print Post

Re: Why all the fuss about an iPhone

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

It works, it retains a resale value.

Why are you upgrading your Blackberry?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Sep-12 17:30:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

To be honest its not a bad phone, however browsing the net is slow and cumbersome on the small screen. Not fussed about all the [censored] apps, but the limitations are in the browsing .

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 19-Sep-12 14:09:36
Print Post

Better build quality, better OS quality, better reliability, better stability.

More than happy to pay a higher price for an overall better piece of kit.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 19-Sep-12 14:10:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Too right it retains a resale value.

Bought the 4S when it came out, sold it six month later (to foolishy try out the Galaxy Note, horrible bit of kit) for the exact same price I originally paid, less eBay fees.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Sep-12 15:10:51
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NaNook:
Too right it retains a resale value.

Bought the 4S when it came out, sold it six month later (to foolishy try out the Galaxy Note, horrible bit of kit) for the exact same price I originally paid, less eBay fees.

I'm really gonna upset a few people here but the iphone has always been nice hardware but the software was designed for those who couldn't set the timer on their vcr (when we had vcrs).

iOS that drives the iphone and ipad, does have have a very polished feel to it and given apples ability to do that for the last 24 years its no surprise.

But its marketed as a smartphone and tbh it really isn't a fashion/semi smartphonish is a pretty good description. if you want a bit designer bling which says "smartphone" then sure its the right device for you. Same with those who want zero customisation and "it just works" attitude.

That sadly is most people.

The worrying thing for tablets is this, just like how intel killed the netbook, apple will kill the tablet arena (along with android) because of the limited nature of the apps that are on the ios platform (partly due to the limited nature of the os).

Microsoft well just lets say win8 looks like a dogs dinner ..

My Blog .......... here (still in dev mode)
Me twittering go add
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Wed 19-Sep-12 15:35:36
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taras:
But its marketed as a smartphone and tbh it really isn't a fashion/semi smartphonish is a pretty good description. if you want a bit designer bling which says "smartphone" then sure its the right device for you. Same with those who want zero customisation and "it just works" attitude.

But that's the beauty of the iphone....if you want complete control of your iOS handset, you just jailbreak it. Even my wife (who is technologically challenged) was able to jailbreak her iphone 4 and now has all kinds of rubbish on her phone.

Android users who want complete control of their handset, root their device.
iOS users who want complete control of their handset, jailbreak their device. smirk

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 19-Sep-12 16:56:42
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

Disagree with limited apps, agree less than android. Though quality is better than quantity. Ive never had an issue with an IOS app, had many problems with the uncontrolled android ones.

Over and above that, id rather pay more and get quality. Im aghast at the tackness of the samsung phones. Their TVs are rock solid
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Sep-12 20:44:09
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by Taras:

But that's the beauty of the iphone....if you want complete control of your iOS handset, you just jailbreak it. Even my wife (who is technologically challenged) was able to jailbreak her iphone 4 and now has all kinds of rubbish on her phone.

Android users who want complete control of their handset, root their device.
iOS users who want complete control of their handset, jailbreak their device. smirk

You shouldn't need to jailbreak the iphone. remove all of the program icons from the screen, give a decent notification screen, decent multitasking and then maybe ios is usable. for me in its current state its a toy phone

My Blog .......... here (still in dev mode)
Me twittering go add
Standard User markgilbert
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 21:11:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Just don`t get it, its a hell of expensive, Samsung and HTC do nice phones for a fraction. Android OS seems decent enough and plenty apps to choose from?

PS Have a Blackberry myself and will be upgrading come new year to something other than a BB.

So whats the big deal? Why spend all that money, status symbol?

To be fair the iPhone and top end Android phones are not that dissimilar in terms of pricing, £529 for the iPhone 5, £499 for the Samsung Galaxy SIII and £569.95 for the HTC One X.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to