Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 24-Feb-13 17:40:58
Print Post

Survey - Device / Browser / Sites that work

[link to this post]

Hallo. I'm putting together some mobile CSS for a webpage, and am canvassing what is used, and what seems to work. Would you care to post:

The device(s) used with screensize:

The browser(s) used with resolution:

Give examples of sites which work well, and ones which do not (one of each will do, but it would be helpful if they are semi-popular sites, as opposed to obscure ones). By 'do not', I mean ones which try, but get it wrong, rather than ones which do not try. Also any info on why a site doesn't work will be invaluable (e.g too wide or fonts too big/small).

I don't use handheld / mobile myself, and am operating from a 'learn as you go' approach, so go easy if I mix my techie phrases in this context. smile

I'm trying to get a feel for what works and what does not work, and if there are basic 'must have' aspects. Also which aspects are more down to specific devices or users.

Ta.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 26-Feb-13 10:44:01
Print Post

Re: Survey - Device / Browser / Sites that work

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

It's official. No one had handheld devices anymore. smile

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 02-Mar-13 16:21:25
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I generally like how these flow on a mobile / tablet device:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news
edit: I think BBC set a cookie. So first time in a given browser, if it loads in desktop view you need to scroll to bottom and choose Mobile Site. To go back you choose Desktop Site.

http://m.theregister.co.uk/

I think the main things they have in common are that they are not too busy and are able to collapse the content to a single column so there is less (or no) sideways scrolling. They should also load quickly whether on Wi-Fi / H / 3G connections.

Longer term I suggest it will be best not to assume too much about the device width. And pages still might be viewed in portrait or landscape.

You used to be able to say that width less than 550 pixels was probably a handheld (portrait) as common sizes were 320x480, 480x800, 540x960. But as the smartphone sizes drift towards 600x1024, 720x1280 or higher it will be hard to tell from size alone whether it is a laptop, TV or handheld.

Also I think we eventually need to get away from separate URLs for "mobile versions" of sites. I see these as a transitional measure, expect perhaps for a landing page to set a cookie for "mobile view".

For the way of what a web URL is supposed to mean, it is not ideal to have 2 or 3 URLs for each resource when it is only specifying a different layout view of the same resource, so it would be better for the content to be usable and layout able to adjust or flow to a range of device / screen sizes. Multiple URLs are also not useful for incoming links and search results.

This would be as originally intended for HTML (in sending the marked-up content to the device without knowing exactly what the device is and how it will render it - which may include reading it out for example) and contrasts with the more recent obsession of clients asking developers to make pages look visually identical + pixel perfect on a range of (usually desktop) browsers.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on iDNET: ADSL2+ / 21CN at ~4Mbps / 700kbps with IP4/6

Edited by prlzx (Sat 02-Mar-13 21:43:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 09-Mar-13 10:47:59
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
For the way of what a web URL is supposed to mean, it is not ideal to have 2 or 3 URLs for each resource when it is only specifying a different layout view of the same resource, so it would be better for the content to be usable and layout able to adjust or flow to a range of device / screen sizes. Multiple URLs are also not useful for incoming links and search results.

This would be as originally intended for HTML (in sending the marked-up content to the device without knowing exactly what the device is and how it will render it - which may include reading it out for example) and contrasts with the more recent obsession of clients asking developers to make pages look visually identical + pixel perfect on a range of (usually desktop) browsers.

Well I'm using stylesheets with @media rules for 320px, 480px, 640px and 960px. The main style is good for 1024px.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
  Print Thread

Jump to