Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 09-Mar-13 09:06:27
Print Post

orange 2g internet usage

[link to this post]

Hi all long story short 2 of my friends who i rung the most have just left three for o2s unlimited deal with £300 instant cashaback at carphone warehouse so as of last week im no longer getting the value out of my one plan contract because i now have no one left on three to use the three minutes to.

so ive joined orange unlimited that came with 200 cash back via e2save (sister of carphone warehouse) the thing is the orange contract only have half a gig of data im used to having unlimited data with three so never have my wifi on.

Obviously starting Monday ill going to have to start using wifi as much as i can again,

The question actually been though is will email, Facebook notification/chat, Google talk, whatsapp and all that sort of stuff work on 2G,

The reason i ask that is im thinking about forcing the phone onto 2G only as this will save quite a lot of battery life and also it will be that slow that if a big app try's to update while im not near wifi i can stop it before it gobbles loads of data up,

From the 24th of feb till now my nexus 4 has already eaten up 864meg via 3G with updates and stuff so that would of already took me over my limit, the nice thing about the nexus 4 is i can set a physical data cap in the settings that stops the mobile data connection after its run out but id rather not run out

Thanks for any help

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Mar-13 11:08:19
Print Post

Re: orange 2g internet usage

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
From the 24th of feb till now my nexus 4 has already eaten up 864meg via 3G with updates and stuff so that would of already took me over my limit, the nice thing about the nexus 4 is i can set a physical data cap in the settings that stops the mobile data connection after its run out but id rather not run out

Thanks for any help

Ash
Donít you connect your Nexus 4 mobile phone to your computer with data cable for firmware and apps downloads, then you will not use your mobile phone data allowance and for apps updates connect via wireless to your router. I hardly use any of my Orange mobile phone 250MB data allowance per month. smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geniune-LG-transfer-Charging...

Dolphin 7 http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/price-plans/p...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13181 kbps Downstream, 1264 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-13 11:31:05
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:

Thanks for any help

Ash
Donít you connect your Nexus 4 mobile phone to your computer with data cable for firmware and apps downloads, then you will not use your mobile phone data allowance and for apps updates connect via wireless to your router. I hardly use any of my Orange mobile phone 250MB data allowance per month. smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geniune-LG-transfer-Charging...

Dolphin 7 http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/price-plans/p...

no i just let them update when they want ive had unlimited data for so long so its never been a problem lol, ive combed it anyway i found an option in the play store to only update over wifi so im not eating into my data i just use wifi at home and let them update then

Thanks for replying anyway

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-May-13 23:08:00
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

If you force it to 2G and keep the usual autosync stuff on it will be so slow you won't be wanting to use Facebook or anything else.

Best thing to do is put the cap on and keep an eye on it the first couple of weeks. You'll probably find you use a lot less than you expect.

I see you found the option in the play store to only update over wifi.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 14-May-13 00:12:04
Print Post

[re: Backpack] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Backpack:
If you force it to 2G and keep the usual autosync stuff on it will be so slow you won't be wanting to use Facebook or anything else.

Best thing to do is put the cap on and keep an eye on it the first couple of weeks. You'll probably find you use a lot less than you expect.

I see you found the option in the play store to only update over wifi.

Hi thanks for the reply

36 days into my contract orange rung me and asked me if i wanted to updated onto 4GEE at no extra cost
they sent me another free phone (huawei ascend P1 LTE not the best phone in the world but its still quite good) they also tripled my net to 1.5gig and all i had to do was renew for another 2 year contract but considering i was only just in my second month i had no probs with that

ive found that not ive stopped apps updating over MBB im using about 900meg so the upped to 1.5 is all good ive also set the data limit in the android settings just to make sure, EE have also put it on that if my data dose run out i wont get charged any extra it will just go terribly slow (like o2 do)

so with all the precautions i think im going to be ok

i sold my nexus in the end as the huawei is more than enough for what i want my phone for so it all worked out nicely

so total had off orange within 2 month is a free LG optimus X4 HD that come with £170 cashback via e2save + £30 via topcashback then 36 days later a free huawei ascend P1 LTE and triple data and its not cost me a penny more lol plus got my full £240 back off my nexus so all in all i am a verry happy bunny out of this contract smile

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping

Edited by acpsd775 (Tue 14-May-13 00:14:34)

Print Thread

Jump to