Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 06-Jul-13 18:38:53
Print Post

Not very helpfull T-mibile's Customer Services!!!!!

[link to this post]

I wanted to "unlock" my contracted Samsung Galaxy S2 with T-mobile network, UK, so that I could use the local SIM, instead of paying for v. expensive roaming costs, during my holidays abroad next coming 10 days time.. I am already more than 12-months into their contract but T-mobile, now called EE or similar, wanted even more!! Firstly, I must be 12 months or more into their contract, secondly they wanted to charge me 20.00 UKPs for it, and thirdly their time-scale of unlocking my Galaxy S2 would be up to 28 days, which is totally "unacceptable" to me as I would be abroad then. Also I have another Galaxy S2 with Vodaphone network, they would do it "free" for me and with a timescale of less than 10 days provided I'm 12 months or more into their contract, which I'm. The T-mobile, or EE, CS also threatened me that if I use other non'T mobile way of unlocking my phone then I may be invalidating my phone's warrenty as well.... What a USEFUL CS from T-mobile or EE!!!
I know there are many sites on the internet which provides paid "unlocking" facility, but some of them could be scammers as well. Therefore I'm still very reluctant of using these sites to do it, and that is why I was looking for T-mobile/Vodaphone supports whenever it is possible.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband but moved to Plusnet unlimited fibre since this May!!!
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 06-Jul-13 19:03:21
Print Post

Re: Not very helpfull T-mibile's Customer Services!!!!!

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

hey spouts a load of [censored] ive just got shut of them cant wait for tuesday when my new contract comes, But how could it invalidate your phones warranty if your over 12 month in phone warranty's only last 12 month even on contract unless you have insurance on them but insurance is 3rd party so unlocking would not invalidate, to me its just their way of getting more money out of you from stupid abroad charges

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-13 12:47:13
Print Post

Normally your local shopping district/mall will have one of those little stands that sell mobile accessories and will unlock phones too, while you wait.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cary
(newbie) Sun 07-Jul-13 14:03:26
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

You will find that samsung standard warranty is normally two years, so unlocking via a non approved method will invalidate the remaining warranty
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 07-Jul-13 14:45:44
Print Post

[re: cary] [link to this post]

If your contract is 18 or 24 months and you are only say 14 months into it they may not be willing to unlock as remember that part of your contract goes towards paying for that 'free' phone so if they unlocked it there is little to stop you cancelling your direct debit and hopping off to PAYG or another contract and they would then have to chase the debt via debit collectors.

I do agree though that roaming charges are ridiculous and need to be brought down.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 07-Jul-13 14:46:31)

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sun 07-Jul-13 18:51:24
Print Post

I'm surprised that a contract phone is locked it's usually only PAYG that is locked but I digress.

S2 phones are ridiculously easy to unlock with free tools available on the internet and a bit of patience. Have you tried XDA Developers website ? There is a lot of help on that forum and they are very friendly

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jul-13 03:57:49
Print Post

T-mobile might not be great CS but you get the best 3G network.

Try a few months on vodafone, travelling around and you will realise how amazing the 3g network on EE, T mobile and Orange is.

Vodafones and even o2's is extremely patchy outside of cities. o2 is great in cities. Vodafone is even quite bad in cities. I often got edge or gprs in London.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-13 10:12:24
Print Post

If you are 12 months into a 24 months contract the phone is not yours to unlock it belongs to EE/T-Mobile, you can only unlock the phone after the contract has finished. I unlocked my Nokia 5800 phone after the T-Mobile contract was finished; it cost me £15 for the code from T-Mobile and was well worth it!

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-13 14:47:16
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I have 24-months contracts each with different S2s for Vodaphone and T-mobile networks respectively for my daughter and son. Currently I'm running 13-months into their contracts, and Vodaphone is doing it for "free" and is going to e-mail me the code and procedures to unlock the S2 phone concerned. However I ran into trouble with T-mobile/EE as their CS wanted 20 UKPs as fee and would wait up to 28-days to get the code, plus threatened me that I might invalidate my phone's contract with them IF I used other non-T mobile SW to do it. Of course I refused to do it for T-mobile, and simply said I'm rather ******. I may consider unlocking the T-mobile's S2 else where though. Does T-mobile know I have "unlocked" my galaxy S2 on-line even I'm not sending it back to T-mobile for, say, future repairing under contract??? Thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband but moved to Plusnet unlimited fibre since this May!!!
  Print Thread

Jump to