Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lt567
(committed) Sun 14-Jul-13 21:53:43
Print Post

Budget Android recommendations

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I currently have a Huawei Ascend G300, which I got based off reviews. After having it for a while it turns out it has a faulty mic. It was reported on some versions they firmware patched it, but I already have the latest Android 4 ICS available to date. Some people had to send theirs back using the warranty, but mine isn't in a warranty so don't have that option. When I speak to someone sometimes when they reply they hear what they said back, and also the phone goes quiet sometimes. I have no idea what is going on with it!

As such I'm going to ebaying this listed as faulty, but just wondering if anyone has any android budget recommendations please? I was looking at the HTC Desire C, nice screen etc but low speed CPU.

Thank you.

Edit: helps if i specify the budget so was looking around £60 mark.

Edited by lt567 (Sun 14-Jul-13 21:56:26)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 22:29:23
Print Post

Re: Budget Android recommendations

[re: lt567] [link to this post]

Best budget android mobile phone! My choice the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 smart phone.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/deals/samsung_galaxy_...

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phone...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sun 14-Jul-13 22:29:49
Print Post

Thats not a fault with the phonem it happens when one of the phones is connecting to two masts at the same time.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Neken
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 22:44:14
Print Post

Around £60?
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phon...

Jelly Bean out of the box. The only real downer is the 500MB of RAM but for £60 there's nothing to touch it.

LOTS of discussion here if you fancy a read.

(committed) Sun 14-Jul-13 23:12:45
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

Oh is it how the hell does that happen, is there anyway to try a fix and troubleshoot it? Thank you.
Standard User lt567
(committed) Sun 14-Jul-13 23:13:55
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Cheers you two haven't come across those so will have a look.

Thanks.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jul-13 04:12:41
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

I'm really not so sure this is true. Most phones connect to multiple masts when available, in the sense that if you go out of range of the mast you're currently using there's another waiting to take over without a dropped call.

When in a major city such as London there's often 10+ masts available for you to connect to. If this was causing major issues those in cities would have themselves heard back 10 times.

Look at Oxford street
http://s22.postimg.org/90bt7lo3l/Screen_Shot_2013_07...
Here you have so many masts. If this was an issue everybody would have major issues in cities.
The blue points are masts.

Just due to capacity constraints your phones aware of numerous base stations. The nearest mast might be at capacity so your calls routed via the 2nd closest etc (although reality is it's not always that straight forward, often you connect via a mast that makes less logical sense than others).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 15-Jul-13 04:12:57)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jul-13 04:26:48
Print Post

Basically imagine you are driving down a motorway making a call. You connect to the nearest mast but often also connect to 1, 2 maybe even 3 further away. Then when you lose signal on the closest mast, your call switches to the 2nd mast and so on.

Also. In cities etc the nearest mast is often at capacity so the phone and network needs to be aware of nearby masts. In this case the phone makes the call via a mast further away which is not at capacity.

In cities you often see an o2 mast ontop of one building. You then see an o2 mast on the building next door. It's not for coverage - it's to ensure capacity.

see my other reply, I do not think this is causing an issue personally. It's how the technology works.
If the phone only connected to one mast at a time. As you were driving, you would connect to your local mast and make a call. This signal would then be lost as you drove away from the mast... The phone would then go searching... and find the next mast. Not ideal at all. At virtually anytime the phones aware of the masts around it. Even if the phones not aware, the network has so much control also over routing its calls.

It's why the T-Mobile / Orange merger is a bit of a mess currently (although being sorted). You know with it you can use orange & t mobile signal...

Essentially as it stands switching between a T-mobile mast and an Orange mast requires a total loss of service as the switch is made. So if you are making a call on orange and then enter a t-mobile only area, the call is dropped as the signal switches to T-mobile. So it can appear that calls are dropping even when the signals good.

With the 4G rollout everything essentially being turned into a T-mobile mast. The orange masts will get upgraded. This will mean that there will no longer be two separate networks so the switchover will in time work seamlessly. Long way to go though.

You're almost always connected to a number of masts. Even your nearest mast often has 2, 3 or 4 transmitters for your network all pointing different directions - so you can be connected to multiple masts both on the same tower.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 15-Jul-13 04:27:50)

Standard User lt567
(committed) Mon 15-Jul-13 09:51:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for clarifying I see what you mean smile As it happens I'm on T-Mobile but my phone shows up as EE smile
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-13 11:08:41
Print Post

Had a Galaxy Ace 2 myself for just over a week (after having both an HTC Desire S and a Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray) and in all respects including being a phone it is miles better and it was cheaper than I paid for either of the others.

166 quid from Amazon at the time I bought it (Onyx Black) but the white is more expensive http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-I8160-Galaxy-Mobile-...

Jelly Bean 4.1.2 out of the box, only downside is it doesn't have buckets of RAM (768 MB)

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Mon 15-Jul-13 11:17:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to