Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jul-13 18:44:23
Print Post

what is the point in having a tablet?

[link to this post]

Just wondering what is the point int hem to be honest as a tablet is just like a smart phone but larger and without the phone part.

I have got a kobo E-ink E-reader which does what it say on the box, but these tablets don't seem to do what they say on the box. some websites don't even work on them.

While it is a little larger I still think a laptop or even a ultrabook as long as it got a proper computer type Os is a better bet than a tablet.

Saying that I have never been that fond of laptops either.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jul-13 19:49:43
Print Post

Re: what is the point in having a tablet?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I wish I knew!

I keep looking at them and thinking what's on them that I would use. They don't seem to have or be able to install proper programs. They seem just a glorified diary and photo/video storage. Why would I want something where the Clock takes as much space as the Browser?

The only real program seems to be a Net Browser and possibly a Mail Client. So it's basically just a Browser! I can do Net Browsing on my Kindle eReader anyway. Can your Kobo do that?

The only ones that seem to support some real programs are the Microsoft RT Tablets which at least come with an MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel) of a kind, I think. I might consider one of those one day, but they don't seem to freely allow installation of any program like a PC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 30-Jul-13 20:34:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I wish I knew!

I keep looking at them and thinking what's on them that I would use. They don't seem to have or be able to install proper programs. They seem just a glorified diary and photo/video storage. Why would I want something where the Clock takes as much space as the Browser?

The only real program seems to be a Net Browser and possibly a Mail Client. So it's basically just a Browser! I can do Net Browsing on my Kindle eReader anyway. Can your Kobo do that?

The only ones that seem to support some real programs are the Microsoft RT Tablets which at least come with an MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel) of a kind, I think. I might consider one of those one day, but they don't seem to freely allow installation of any program like a PC.

the Microsoft surface pro allows programs to be freely installed they are the same size as the microsoft surface RT but the have full hardware (intel core i5 4gig ram so on) and win 8 pro (could be just windows 8 but im sure its pro, either way there both full versions of win 8 so it wont matter) i like these my self but there a bit out of my price range

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Wed 31-Jul-13 00:48:53
Print Post

I'm not sure that tablets have anything on the box, that would be limiting their capability. There isn't much you can't do as long as you realise the tablet's limitations. I use mine all day for various tasks including as a remote for my pc (mostly to control media playback), as an e-reader, to play the odd game , reading emails and for browsing when my nexus screen is too small. I don't know where you get that some websites don't work from as there's an option to view each page as if you aren't on a mobile device.

I use it when i'm travelling to watch movies, I can use it with netflix, sky go and youtube. The possibilities are endless.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jul-13 00:59:02
Print Post

You should have gone for a generic-type tablet and not one who's main function is for books, and everything else is secondary...

Tablets do, of course have larger screens than smartphones, along with more memory, allowing more things to be done. I'm typing this with my mini keyboard attached to my Voyager Android tablet.

I do also have a word processor/database/spreadsheet package (ala OpenOffice - and it's just as free too!) in case I need to do any typing etc etc

I also have BASIC! for any development needs too

Follow me on Twitter. Now with plusnet
Approx 73Mbps download/18Mbps upload
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User qjh1
(newbie) Wed 31-Jul-13 10:58:52
Print Post

They are simply toys for those who must have the latest fasion junk. If you actually want something that does proper computing jobs stick with a desktop or laptop.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 31-Jul-13 11:18:03
Print Post

They're handy for things you might do on a phone but where the screen is too small - catchup tv on the go, movies, books etc. More versatile than an e-reader but less battery life.

I use mine to look at TV listings without disrupting others viewing, lightweight email, listening to the radio(!), catchup tv while relaxing in the bath etc.

The smaller form factor of my Nexus 7 and the increased robustness compared to a laptop are factors.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 31-Jul-13 11:45:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

You say you can do browsing on Kindle e-reader. Did you mean Kindle fire? I have kindle e-reader but I am unaware that you can brows on it.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:10:48
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Yes, on a Kindle eReader, not the Fire tablet.

Go Home / Menu / Experimental / Web Browser

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User alwall
(member) Wed 31-Jul-13 12:49:42
Print Post

Watching TV in bed!

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to