Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Aug-13 08:22:18
Print Post

Use smartphone as a modem?

[link to this post]

I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I have a Nokia Lumia 820 which connects to 3G. I sometimes go abroad and have no Internet access in some areas. I understand that I can use my phone as a modem and connect it to my computer to get temporary Internet access. I can't really get my mind around this, so can anyone tell me how to go about this. Presumably I'd need to keep a careful eye on my data usage monitor.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:08:44
Print Post

Re: Use smartphone as a modem?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I have a Nokia Lumia 820 which connects to 3G. I sometimes go abroad and have no Internet access in some areas. I understand that I can use my phone as a modem and connect it to my computer to get temporary Internet access. I can't really get my mind around this, so can anyone tell me how to go about this. Presumably I'd need to keep a careful eye on my data usage monitor.

This should help you get started but yes depending on your network keep an eye on your bill as it will rack up very quickly when out of the UK Hope this helps

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:18:01
Print Post

I wouldn't recommend doing this

Depending which network and which country you could run up a £100 bill in minutes on some networks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User celad2001
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:44:16
Print Post

in most countries its easy to buy a local payg sim.. most cost a few pounds and already have credit..thats much cheaper than using your uk sim.
settings:
internet sharing:
turn wifi on:
you will find a wifi connection available:for your pc:
works a treat.!!
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Aug-13 11:29:26
Print Post

[re: celad2001] [link to this post]

Would the SIM have to be locked to the same provider I use now?

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Fri 02-Aug-13 12:14:37
Print Post

I can't comment about overseas; but I recently experimented doing this with one of my grandsons, who owns a suitable phone, using my ASUS Netbook.

Download Speed was reasonable around 5 Mbps, whilst Upload was surprisingly fast at 1.5 Mbps.

And in the shadow of the FORTH (Rail) Bridge, so probably not the best mobile/cell signal area.
Standard User celad2001
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 12:22:49
Print Post

depends if the phone is locked.. if its on contract it probably is,some retailers only sell unlocked phones, i guess unlocking is an option.? try someone elses sim in it and see what happens.
  Print Thread

Jump to