Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 05-Aug-13 12:10:17
Print Post

Mobile broadband data cap lies

[link to this post]

Wandered into EE, O2, and Vodaphone this morning to get some high street comparisons. Basically nothing good compared to online offers, but one keen, but very dishonest young lady in Vodaphone told me,

"I have a 1GB cap on my phone and I use a lot of broadband and never go over the limit."

Of course, I smiled and said nothing. I just tried a 720p Youtube music vid, and at just over 4 minutes came in at 55MB (up and down combined), which means in an hour it would be about 800MB, or 80% of my monthly 1GB in one hour.

She was either lying or stupid, and either way, it perhaps highlights the things folk will say to secure a sale.

This tallies with this article somewhat:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-much-mobile-data-...

Last week we briefly lost our internet connection, and turned on the mobile tethering feature of our smartphones. It was remarkable to watch the data counter keep track of how much data we were using, even as the computer sat idle checking email and synchronizing several email boxes. In less than an hour, we managed to rack up over 250 megabytes, or almost 15% of the total 2GB monthly data allowance for the phone used, just checking email.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User smurf46
(member) Mon 05-Aug-13 13:51:03
Print Post

Re: Mobile broadband data cap lies

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

All three of you prove how you can say anything and be "right" if you don't define what you mean. In simple terms, it's meaningless.

I get a couple of dozen e-mails a day (without attachments) and total download they use on my phone per month is much less than 100MB. There's another meaningless statistic to add to your collection.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 16:43:22
Print Post

Are you suggesting she was lying to you?

I had 1gb data for two years and never went over. That's despite me steaming radio once or twice a week, having my emails synced to my phone, facebook etc.

Using wifi kept usage down at home. I personally think 1gb is perfect.

I have unlimited now so my usage has probably gone up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 16:46:17
Print Post

Also something to make you aware of. Vodafone and o2 (not as bad as voda) lack 3G outside of major cities and you almost certainly will not be racking up multiple gb on gprs.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 05-Aug-13 18:31:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I am suggesting that the claim "I use mine for the Internet a lot, and have never gone over my 1GB cap" is false. She is either lying or is completely unaware of what "a lot" is.

Now we are talking about a smartphone, with better speakers than many, so not just e-mail and browsing, but vids, music and so on.

At present I use 30-40GB per month, and if I was to go mobile for 10-20% of that, we are talking 3-8GB right away.

~ Camieabz ~

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 05-Aug-13 18:34:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Well if I want the deal I'm after, I'm probably going to have to go with 3. I'm hearing less than great reviews of their coverage, but also hearing that they have a slice of the EE 4G network, and EE are planning 70-9x% coverage between now and 2014.

At present it will be 3G. If I go with EE (T-Mobile actually), I'll have their claimed unlimited, but there's a 3GB FUP, which I was told today caps streams, downloads, FTP, e-mail etc, but port 80 stuff would still be allowed (not sure I quite believe that, and am more inclined to believe I'll find the cap was reached when I get the bill).

~ Camieabz ~

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 20:32:54
Print Post

I use over 200gb on my laptop but less than 1 on my phone (not saying this will apply to you) but I do not apply that 10% rule.

Any video streaming I do at home generally though.

I have wifi at work and home too so only use data out and about.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 05-Aug-13 20:35:14)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 20:46:10
Print Post

Well if I want the deal I'm after, I'm probably going to have to go with 3. I'm hearing less than great reviews of their coverage, but also hearing that they have a slice of the EE 4G network, and EE are planning 70-9x% coverage between now and 2014.
3 coverage is honestly pants. If you are in a big city it's fine but anywhere remote it struggles. Also as they do not have a 2G fallback you find where every other network reverts to 2G signal (fine to call and text) 3 loses signal all together.

Yes 3 have some of the EE spectrum. This DOES NOT mean they have the same coverage.
3 often use the same base stations as T-mobile under MBNL however nearly always the 3 sites are broadcasting at a lower transmit power to the T-mobile ones, usually around 18db, whereas T-mobile are always around 28 (In my experience), and quite often T-mobile have 2 cells on the site, pointing in opposite directions whereas 3 only has 1 site, pointing in 1 direction.

Also the T-mobile transmitter might be much higher up on the mast, say 10m higher (usually is higher than the 3 masts tbf)

Not only this but T-mobile then has the old orange sites, often which are tall sites say 30m or higher, these can give coverage for miles and miles which also strengthens the EE signal.

3 do have some EE spectrum. Sadly they do not have a lot so speeds probably will not be amazing if takeup is high.

3 are price competitive and their data is unlimited. Nonetheless definitely consider that 3 operate traffic management. In essense with this, say you watch netflix for a long time on your data, say 3 hours, traffic management will start throttling the netflix traffic down to keep load on the network down. This often means that netflix will struggle to play once the throttling kicks in, or atleast it will play in bad quality. This traffic management is something new by 3 and only new customers are affected (so those on older unlimited 3 plans do not see this). It's worth considering.

At present it will be 3G. If I go with EE (T-Mobile actually), I'll have their claimed unlimited, but there's a 3GB FUP, which I was told today caps streams, downloads, FTP, e-mail etc, but port 80 stuff would still be allowed (not sure I quite believe that, and am more inclined to believe I'll find the cap was reached when I get the bill).
I have T-mobile full monty plan taken in April / May this year. I was without home broadband for a few weeks and used over 100Gb without any issues. Granted this was a one-off. The main point to note is that their unlimited plans are restricted to around 4Mbps speed, which frankly is fine.

Also you must consider that you will not always have 3G signal and a lot of the time you will have WiFi so your usage might not be HUGE, unless you are using this instead of WiFi?

EDIT: Something you will realise with 3G is that it's a finite resource and shared. Streaming quite frequently of videos etc just doesn't work well. It works fine usually at home (but you have WiFi anyway) but in busy cities where the masts are at capacity it's not so good. On the commuter train home when everyones on their phones, even 3G can be struggling to load websites never mind stream. My experiences anyways. I found this on 3, o2, vodafone and now T-mobile around London.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 05-Aug-13 20:52:49)

Print Thread

Jump to