Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Aug-13 23:27:49
Print Post

What would you do?

[link to this post]

Would you give up your current mobile tariff including unlimited data for £15 a month to "upgrade" to one with a 250MB data cap for £16 a month but get a free iPad in return?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Promod
(regular) Thu 15-Aug-13 01:09:43
Print Post

Re: What would you do?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Mobile internet and tethering is what I mostly use my phone for, so in my case.. No thanks.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 01:12:43
Print Post

my typical use of data would be a key piece of information here, but I would sell the iPad anyway.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Aug-13 13:49:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Would you give up your current mobile tariff including unlimited data for £15 a month to "upgrade" to one with a 250MB data cap for £16 a month but get a free iPad in return?
It seems a good contract offer if you need an iPad. My T-Mobile iPhone-3GS contract £15 per month has only 250MB data allowance and I only use 50% of it each month. If I need to download apps or large files or upgrade firmware, I download via my home router wireless connection, then the mobile phone data allowance is not used. smile

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Aug-13 18:41:18
Print Post

If the data cap is likely to get hit, then no. What's the point in having a great new piece of kit, and not being able to use it?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

Stamp out Social Media Racism
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 15-Aug-13 20:42:42
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

It's a no brainer, keep the unlimited data and if you really want an iPad, buy one.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Thu 15-Aug-13 21:17:16
Print Post

Without having seen the package being offered, I'll assume the free is an illusion re: the iPad.

Guessing the contract length is long enough to more than cover the cost of buying an iPad (18/24/36 months). Wonder if the iPad is Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi plus 3G, and if 3G whether the device is also locked to that operator, and whether it is a new or old series model.

Also that operators have been known to change the prices mid-contract despite objections.

I nearly always find it cheaper to buy the item outright by using mobile SIM-only deals from £7-13 per month with enough of everything and only 12 month contract or else PAYG to avoid the long lock-in and the freedom to choose from a wide range of devices.

Can't imagine needing to spend £15/month or more.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on iDNET: ADSL2+ / 21CN at ~4Mbps / 700kbps with IP4/6

Edited by prlzx (Thu 15-Aug-13 21:24:26)

Standard User martinsq
(regular) Fri 16-Aug-13 00:35:31
Print Post

firstly I would put a meaningful description in the SUBJECT line, that's what it this there for !

No such think as a free lunch, you always pay over the odds buying something on instalments, do the maths and see....
Wouldn't want ipad either.
Regards,
M
  Print Thread

Jump to