Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User csimon
(experienced) Tue 11-Aug-15 11:49:24
Print Post

Why does Android access internet on boot?

[link to this post]

I think I only notice this because my broadband is so slow, but each of my Android devices (Nook tablet, Acer tablet, LG phone) uses internet constantly for about 10-20 minutes after booting up. I have switched off all synching that I can find, backups to Google account, app auto updates, etc. There is very little on the devices too, no local content like music and video, just a handful of apps and no cloud services. I can understand checking for updates to apps but my iOS devices do this quite quickly, within a few seconds. Even with slow broadband 15 minutes equates to around 50MB.
Standard User Spuriousfish
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-15 09:50:18
Print Post

Re: Why does Android access internet on boot?

[re: csimon] [link to this post]

It's really hard to say because it so much depends on your configuration of each machine, how good your wireless or network signal is, what background apps you have running and so on.

All I can say is that my Nexus 7 tablet and the wife's Samsung phone don't spend more than a few seconds polling the internet.

Are you syncing all devices together for things such as email, contacts, photos etc?

Disabling back ground sync tasks is not necessarily straight forward as I've just discovered since trying to get out of using the new Google Photos. Not only is there a setting in the App to disable backup and sync but there's another setting in the Settings menu under Accounts which controls whether or not each app is allowed to sync or not. You need to do both.
Standard User csimon
(experienced) Wed 12-Aug-15 10:29:17
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

No, there is no synching at all going on! Contacts, calendars etc are not populated on these devices and there is no local media such as photos, videos and music, and there are only a handful of apps on each.

I thought I'd been through all the Disable Sync options I canfind but will have another look. However, even if sync is enabled, there are no files to sync anyway.

What speed is your broadband connection? I'm on 0.1Mbps at the moment! (Yes, the decimal point is in the right place). That's approximately 7.5MB every 10 minutes if my calc is correct (I think my estimate above was probably way off the mark, so I think my devices are rtasnferring around 10MB each time, although I don't know whether that's upload or download. If your connect speed is, say, 30Mbps then you'd get through a 10MB download in about 3 seconds?? Is my thinking right?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spuriousfish
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-15 17:13:09
Print Post

Whoa! that is a slow line. When you think about it it's not quite twice what we used to get with a 56K Modem.

I suspect that doesn't help and while your calculation is in the right direction, in reality the data transfer rate is probably worse than that because of the overhead of supporting all the different packet types and protocols.

My connection is about 6.5Mbps - 65 times faster than yours so that probably accounts for a lot of the difference.

Personally I leave my wifi disconnected on the tablet and only enable it when I need to access the Internet.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Aug-15 17:52:53
Print Post

Seems about right. It'll be getting background updates for apps etc, may be content e.g. facebook newsfeed, newspaper article, emails etc.

At 0.1Mbs it's likely it "times out" / gives up and starts over as well.

Can you get fibre?
Standard User csimon
(experienced) Wed 12-Aug-15 18:25:04
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spuriousfish:
Whoa! that is a slow line. When you think about it it's not quite twice what we used to get with a 56K Modem.

Tell me abouti t! It's normally 0.4Mbps but there's a phone line fault at the moment that I'm waiting to be fixed.

My connection is about 6.5Mbps - 65 times faster than yours so that probably accounts for a lot of the difference.

Yep - but it still means there are megabytes of data transfer going on which is odd considering there's nothing to transfer. My iOS devices don't do that and they have far more apps on them.

Personally I leave my wifi disconnected on the tablet and only enable it when I need to access the Internet.

My devices are basically used as controllers for stuff on my own network so the wifi needs to be on.
Standard User csimon
(experienced) Wed 12-Aug-15 18:27:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Seems about right. It'll be getting background updates for apps etc, may be content e.g. facebook newsfeed, newspaper article, emails etc.

I don't have any of that stuff, Facebook is not on these devices nor email or any cloud stuff of any kind.

Can you get fibre?

I've been waiting a long time but at least two weeks ago I found FTTP is available to me via the Superfast Cymru/BDUK scheme so I put in an order straight away, but I suspect that's not going to be implemented on a fast schdule - I believe a surveyor has to come out first and no-one's cotnacted me as yet.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Wed 12-Aug-15 19:34:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by csimon:
Can you get fibre?

I've been waiting a long time but at least two weeks ago I found FTTP is available to me via the Superfast Cymru/BDUK scheme so I put in an order straight away, but I suspect that's not going to be implemented on a fast schdule - I believe a surveyor has to come out first and no-one's cotnacted me as yet.

i might be wrong here but i think all FTTP instalations are on hold for now . i just found out recently that my exchange :

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSDOU

is showing FTTP is available in some areas connected to the exchange but i can't get any more information saying what areas this wil be .

i am curently with VM and 100% happy with the BB service.not so happy with the increases for tv etc so i am thinking about having BB only and doing away with tv .So FTTP is something i would consider if it was available to me.

Edited by djfunkdup (Wed 12-Aug-15 19:40:55)

Standard User csimon
(experienced) Wed 12-Aug-15 20:28:14
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by djfunkdup:
i might be wrong here but i think all FTTP instalations are on hold for now . i

Well, I don't know about that. Are you in a BDUK area or are you being "done" under the commercial rollout? Superfast Cymru are adamant that they are on target for all their areas to be completed by June 2016, but whether that means that everyone they target will be able to have fibre installed or just that the fibre structure is in place and people can place an order but won't get it fulfilled... FTTP has been made available here definitely and I've placed an order, but I think I do recall rollout in commercial areas being curtailed, which means it's not even being made available.

My exchange has had FTTP available in "some areas" for some time but they are very secretive about future plans, even when it's bleeding obvious from the work going on in my road for over a year that FTTP was being brought here.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Wed 12-Aug-15 21:12:18
Print Post

Well i don't actually know tbh smile and sorry for hi-jacking the thread i know it was not about FTTP.i just saw it mentioned when having a read of the thread .

As far as my exchange status goes i'm not really sure about anything more that the fact it's showing on SamKnows that some areas will get FTTP .. i don't have a bt phone number so i am kinda limited to the bt checker using post code and that makes no mention of FTTP.it tells me that FTTC is avaliable that's all.

Not in any hurry here so i only require information regarding it rather than finding an isp that will provide a connection ..

Thanks smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Aug-15 17:06:05
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Native FTTP is business as usual - only FoD orders are on hold.

As for FTTP have checked and no sign of any that is live on WSDOU yet, there looks to be some on the way.

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 14-Aug-15 17:10:26)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to