Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Aug-15 11:08:19
Print Post

Large display alarm clock with multiple alarms?

[link to this post]

On an initial investigation it seems that only ones with dual alarms every day are available. I am wanting one which I can set to have one alarm on weekdays, one alarm on Saturdays and occasionally a one off alarm for early-start Sundays.

It must also have a large display I can read from a lying down position without wearing my glasses. And preferably be radio controlled too.

Anyone know of such a beast from a reputable manufacturer?

(I currently use my mobile phone for this but it has a habit of losing track of where the audio is to be routed (headphones, Bluetooth or internal speaker) after I have been playing music etc on it leading to the alarm not sounding and the phone needing rebooting)

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Scottish_Pete
(member) Tue 18-Aug-15 00:43:03
Print Post

Re: Large display alarm clock with multiple alarms?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I would have to recommend a Pure DAB Radio. Had one for over 5 years and had no problems with it.

They can have upto 4 alarms, which can be set for weekdays, Saturday/Sunday or once only and you be awoken with an alarm tone or your preferred radio station. The Chronos CD Series 2 is remote controlled, can be found cheaper elsewhere (sub £100). I have the smaller version of this without the CD player, the Chronos 2 which they do not make anymore, but as I have already said not had any problems with it.

Scottish_Pete

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 connected to Local Exchange
TBB SPEEDTEST
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:25:49
Print Post

[re: Scottish_Pete] [link to this post]

Sadly they fail at the first (or is it second?) hurdle of not having a large display.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jethro_Tombs
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:23:37
Print Post

Sony XDR-C706DBP
4 Alarms, Large Display, DAB

Still a bit bright at night even on lowest setting but worked for partially sighted parent.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:07:00
Print Post

[re: Jethro_Tombs] [link to this post]

I don't call that a large display!

Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:12:11
Print Post

How about another mobile phone (without a SIM) on a dock?

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:19:14
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

Bingo! I already have my spare phone and a Bluetooth speaker / Large display clock / charger (but with an inflexible alarm feature).

Have a coconut.

Standard User Jethro_Tombs
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:22:56
Print Post

I'll pass your comments on to my spouse who is unable to see a normal clock radio display without her glasses.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:30:07
Print Post

This is the one I use. The QI wireless charging is a bit iffy though with my phone in a bumper case and I like to see the phone screen so use a wireless charger stand instead. There is a light wood effect version but I think the display contrast is not as clear to the unfocused eye.

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:07:10
Print Post

Exactly what I was thinking.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Aug-15 21:34:35
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

I sometime shock other spectacle wearers when they try my glasses.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Aug-15 10:44:23
Print Post

Just got myself a Fitibit fitness band that is designed for wearing 24/7'ish (not while showering / chance to wipe it down) including sleep and that has the kind of flexible alarm settings I am looking for. Funny buzzy feeling on the wrist which should be enough to wake up me in time to hear / see my phone alarms.

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 26-Aug-15 09:19:42
Print Post

Tried one of them, woke up thinking I was having a heart attack laugh
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Oct-16 14:14:11
Print Post

Just had an evolution of this idea by using the Clock app on my old Android tablet (which no longer supports all of the apps I want to use so got replaced for day to day use).

This gives me even more flexible and easy to configure alarm settings and a large dispay digital clock face that has the advantage over the one on the speaker of automatically changing with DST and not slowly losing time as it syncs with internet time.

Did need to install the Wakey app too to stop the tablet display timing out though I am not sure yet if I will just get used to allowing the display to time out after five minutes (by which time I should be asleep) as the alarm going off in the morning wakes the display up again.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Nov-16 15:30:17
Print Post

Latest update: Got myself one of these to try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GV8JREU/ref=o...

Sadly the display while much larger than the one on my Bluetooth speaker is so bright (even in the dim setting) that it flares when looking at it in the dark so making it harder to read. And the killer is that it does not sync with the radio signal in my bedroom so have now relocated it to the living room where even then it only syncs when the TV equipment is turned off which thankfully means the scheduled overnight attempt at syncing works.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Nov-16 12:15:25
Print Post

Just tried my Axis Bluetooth / Internet / DAB radio in the bedroom and this time I am getting acceptable DAB radio reception. In the lounge I was basically using it just as a Bluetooth adaptor as my old Pure DAB radio still sounds miles better. Already got a portable Bluetooth adaptor to hook up to that for playing my phone or tablet through.

So with the Axis now in the bedroom I am going back to the idea of using the old tablet as the large alarm clock display. I am also planning to modify the Axis by gluing a small plate stand to the top where the iPod dock is and then glue my QI wireless charge plate to that.

That means I can ditch / repurpose the existing Roberts DAB radio and standalone Bluetooth speaker / clock and put the old mobile phone back in the car for emergencies. So still two devices taking up a nightstand footprint (one each side of the bed) but less clutter overall.

Standard User dieselglider
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-16 07:23:33
Print Post

I have used a Pure Siesta DAB/FM radio clock, which has three independent alarms, and auto-dimming, with button press to brighten for a few seconds if necessary.

I see there is now a Siesta Rise version which appears to have a larger display, still three alarms, and a usb charger.

BTInfinity
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Dec-16 09:26:32
Print Post

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

Alarm settings are not flexible enough: Need to be able to select any mix of days of the week for a given alarm time for at least three different times. Only really suitable for a 5/7 9-5 worker.

As it happens my main phone no longer seems to lose audio at random which seems to coincide with when I switched to using a different podcast app and so I am beginning to trust it more for to not let me down sounding an alarm.

The one curiosity I am getting with the Axis is that its USB port does not charge my tablet even though it charges other devices (tried it with a different cable that is known to work). Again not really a problem as I already have a mains powered USB charger bedside.

The DIY wireless charger stand glued to the top of the Axis is a great success.

Edited by gomezz (Tue 13-Dec-16 09:34:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to