Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Feb-16 23:31:08
Print Post

Do I upgrade my tablet?

[link to this post]

Got an old Hudl 1 which has just dropped off the supported Android level for BT Sport and which hangs when trying to stream iPlayer programmes (OK on downloads). Question is can I justify paying out for a, say Nexus 7 Mk2 to get these services back given the (in)frequency I use them over a year? Google Maps still works which is useful for finding new build estates as it tends to update before my sat-nav does. And that is about it for main uses.

For example, would have been useful for this Saturday as I may have had a chance to start watching the France v Italy 6 Nations appetiser before finishing work but not if I have to wait for it to end before I can download it as it will be home time by then anyway so may as well watch my Youview recording instead.

Persuade me one way or another. It is not the cost that bothers me (Titus faints) but what to do with a reasonably functional Hudl 1 as I don't like seeking working stuff laying idle.

Or do I spend the money on a Slingbox instead which means I could also chase-play this year's ITV coverage of the 6 Nations too? Either way I am still at the whim of being somewhere where I can get a decent mobile data or BT Wi-Fi connection.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Edited by gomezz (Tue 02-Feb-16 23:42:50)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Feb-16 23:56:09
Print Post

Re: Do I upgrade my tablet?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Mmm! SlingPlayer does not want to run on the Hudl 1 either so that is out of the picture for now.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Feb-16 14:10:58
Print Post

Just checked and the All4 app on my Hudl 1 lets me download and play programmes so F1 moving from BBC4 to C4 is not an issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Feb-16 09:41:58
Print Post

ITV Hub is OK too for the 6 Nations rugby but Five have just relaunched their catch up service as My5 which not only does not run on my tablet but also seems to be well broken on my W8.1 laptop using either IE or FF. But nowt on there I am likely to want to watch while out and about.

(iPlayer seems to be behaving itself again so seems that one was a problem at the BBC's end)

Edited by gomezz (Tue 16-Feb-16 09:43:10)

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 10:38:42
Print Post

If you did want to replace your tablet, Tracks are now selling the Lenovo tab A 10 at £119.00. It's a 2GB/16Gb tabled with quad 1.7Ghz, 10 inch display with 1920x1200 graphics. It comes with KitKat, but there's an upgrade to Lollipop available, and it's recently fast and stab!e. I have one, but unfortunately paid £139.00, 2 days before they dropped the price. I'd say it's just about the best value 10 inch tablet on the market. The batted life is pretty good too.
  Print Thread

Jump to