Technical Discussion
  >> Handheld and Mobile Computing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User packetman
(member) Fri 27-May-16 17:20:24
Print Post

Google location services and MAC address question

[link to this post]

I recently bought a second hand BT Home Hub 5 router on ebay to use purely as an extra wifi access point on my existing home network and connected to my existing router. I am not with BT broadband. This is generally working fine, great speeds and coverage, however...

When my Android phone (Nexus 5X) first connects to it when I switch it on, my location shows as Mansfield, Notts, and not near Andover, Hampshire, where I actually am! As soon as the GPS kicks in and I refresh it corrects this. Now, Mansfield is the location of the person I bought it from! Therefore I assume that the Google location service is using network info to find my location until it has GPS. Somehow it knows that the AP used to be in Mansfield. How??

The SSIDs, (2.4G & 5G) have been changed from the originals, also the password. Also I did a factory default reset on it before configuring it as an AP. The only thing remaining that I can see is the MAC address. Does Google keep a database of WiFi access point locations and MAC addresses? I remember a year or so ago there was a big hoo-ha about the Google street-view cars sniffing wifi details while they were taking pictures. I thought that had been stopped? Or is my phone getting this incorrect location info in some other way? Any ideas? Thanks!
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Fri 27-May-16 21:45:59
Print Post

Re: Google location services and MAC address question

[re: packetman] [link to this post]

it is via the MAC address - TheRegister - it will no doubt sort it self out as Google's software starts putting 1 + 1 together - though it is useful to enable phone locate quicker/less energy - I am not sure it is best interest of phone owners

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User packetman
(member) Sat 28-May-16 09:34:49
Print Post

Re: Google location services and MAC address question

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for that. I find it quite sinister, Google really is trying to infiltrate every aspect of our lives. Big Brother spelt with a G.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to