General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User marrllinz
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-09 23:22:22
Print Post

I can receive but I cannot send email using 3 mbb

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site so please bear with me.

I have a MacBook Pro using a '3' mobile broadband dongle and using Apple Mail and Microsoft Entourage for email. I have 4 accounts with Apple Mail and 4 accounts with Entrourage. All my accounts are working fine with Entourage being able to send and receive using the 3 smtp settings. With Apple Mail however, 2 of the four accounts can send and receive and two cannot. The two accounts which are working perfectly well are using the ISP smtp settings, and for the two which are not able to send I have tried both the ISP's smtp settings as well as 3's smtp settings. I have also been through all of the port settings as highlighted by information on three's website as well as on this site.

Is there any one else out there experiencing the same issues and or have a fix or am I alone on this one.

Please help!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-09 23:51:49
Print Post

Re: I can receive but I cannot send email using 3 mbb

[re: marrllinz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by marrllinz:
for the two which are not able to send I have tried both the ISP's smtp settings as well as 3's smtp settings.
What do you mean both "the ISP's" and "3's" SMTP settings?

As you are using 3's mobile dongle, Isn't 3 your ISP?

Ofter you must use the SMTP server of whichever ISP you used to connect at that time, regardless of which mail client you are using.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg BB
Standard User marrllinz
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-09 08:43:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi XRaySpeX,

Yes you are right; what I meant was I tried both the ISP (3 mbb in this case) settings as well as the pop account smtp settings for both of the accounts which are having issues sending.

It is strange that for the two other mail accounts I use the smtp settings as provided by the respective mail provider.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dangerjunkie
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-09 14:40:27
Print Post

Hi,

POP3 is used to receive mail and this setting will be the same whichever ISP you connect from to collect your mail.

SMTP is used for sending mail and most ISPs restrict access to their SMTP server to people on their own network to stop spammers abusing them. Some ISPs (Such as IDNet, who I am with) support authenticated SMTP so I can put in my email username and password to the SMTP settings to prove I'm a customer and I can then send and receive email from any network using their SMTP server. Some ISPs use a thing called "send after receive" which allows your to use their SMTP server as long as you have successfully checked your incoming mail on their POP3 server within the last so-many seconds.

It's also worth checking your sending settings. Sometimes here are settings for security or encryption, like TLS or SSL. If these are switched on and your current provider doesn't support that security system the send may fail.

Cheers,
Paul.
Standard User marrllinz
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-09 16:08:01
Print Post

[re: Dangerjunkie] [link to this post]

Hi Paul and thanks for replying to my post.

I am happy to say that I have figured out what I was doing wrong. While I appreciate the lesson in symantecs, your post did not answer my question in not being able to send.

For those out there like me using Apple Mail on a Mac here is the fix when using a mobile broadband dongle:

When setting up an email account use your mail providers POP3 account settings for receivin
Standard User marrllinz
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-09 16:08:26
Print Post

[re: Dangerjunkie] [link to this post]

Hi Paul and thanks for replying to my post.

I am happy to say that I have figured out what I was doing wrong. While I appreciate the lesson in symantecs, your post did not answer my question in not being able to send.

For those out there like me using Apple Mail on a Mac here is the fix when using a mobile broadband dongle:

When setting up an email account use your mail providers POP3 account settings for receiving mail.

Wen it comes to sending though this is a totally different. With Apple Mail, it depends on how your mail provider has set up their smtp server. Like I said in an earlier post, I have two email accounts functioning perfectly using the mail providers smtp server, while the others are not.

The fix as follows:

In mail preferences go to the outgoing server and click on the pull down menu and click edit servers. In account information the description can be anything but in the server name put in smtp-mbb.three.co.uk, then click on the advanced tab, use the default port setting and for authentication use none. Obviously if you have mare than one account having issues you will find that you will only be able to set up one account using this method due to a conflict in settings - I am still working on a fix for my second non functioning account. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Marrllinz
Standard User XRaySpeX
(committed) Fri 28-Aug-09 04:27:04
Print Post

in the server name put in smtp-mbb.three.co.uk,
That's exactly what I advised before: "use the SMTP server of whichever ISP you used to connect at that time"; 3 is your current ISP.

you will only be able to set up one account using this method due to a conflict in settings
No, you should be able to set all of them the same, 3's SMTP server. Anyway, that's how it is on most Windows clients; there is a different Outgoing Server for each a/c. However, I don't know Apple Mail; maybe you have only 1 Outgoing Server for all a/c's. In which case 3's SMTP server will apply to all accounts.

I am still working on a fix for my second non functioning account.
It should be exactly the same.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg BB
Standard User marrllinz
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-09 10:30:08
Print Post

Hi XRaySpex, Thank you for reminding me of your earlier post. What you and the rest of the community did not actually say was that authentication was not required and should be left as none. It is natural to try and use authentication especially when is it used by two other email accounts - I was merely addressing what the rest of the world has not yet realised...

That said, I still have not been able to overcome the conflict of having two or more accounts not requiring authentication. If you have a fix for this then it would be gratefully received.

Thanks again for everyones help in this.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(committed) Fri 28-Aug-09 15:29:40
Print Post

Ah OK; Authentication not required is the default on Windows clients, which is the range of my experience.

BTW: Your problem is not specific to Apple; it is a Internet email issue.

Standard User jonwatson
(newbie) Sat 29-Aug-09 09:38:26
Print Post

What I did with this problem, that seems to be specifically a 3 issue, was to use defaults for all SMTP stuff with the exception of changing the port from 25 to 587. Works for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to