General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User petethegeek
(regular) Tue 01-Sep-09 21:17:56
Print Post

Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite on Windows 7 anyone?

[link to this post]

Picked up a Vodafone TopUp and Go USB modem (K3565) yesterday and I'm having a problem installing Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite onto my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Windows 7 RC. Installation seems to start off OK but terminated with a pop up "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action."

Looking through forum.vodafone.co.uk, a couple of previous entries suggest registering vbscript.dll using regsvr32, but when I do that I simply get a message suggesting a previous version has been superceded, and attempting to install the VMC again terminates in identical fashion.

I have posted an entry into the vodafone forum but replies are a little slow forthcoming. Anyone here seen similar and/or have any suggestions/solutions? (Indeed can anyone confirm that VMC Lite will run on Windows 7 RC.)
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Tue 01-Sep-09 21:49:05
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite on Windows 7 anyone?

[re: petethegeek] [link to this post]

I can confirm that it works on Windows 7 RC - I ran it for a good few months before upgrading to the RTM version (64bit)..

Have you tried running as Administrator? Or using the compatibility options?

EDIT: Your post reminded me that I hadn't installed MC Lite and I am now getting the same error as you, even trying with 'Run as Administrator' and compatibility modes.. frown

Edited by Spasch (Tue 01-Sep-09 22:52:04)

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Sep-09 21:03:35
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

It works absolutely fine on Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-bit for me. In fact I'm doing some speed testing right now (results to follow!)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 10-Sep-09 17:37:42
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. My braodband worked fine with Vista but I did a clean install to Windows 7 and cannot get it to work. TRied unistall and reinstall loads of times. When I plug in the USB connector it never finds the device. Seems to work with my base unit but not with my Dell 1555
Alec
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Sep-09 21:46:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What modem (USB Dongle) do you have?

Have you made sure you were installing in "administrator" mode (not just logged in as an administrator) if you have "UAC" enabled as is by default?
Standard User nimmysnv
(newbie) Sat 12-Sep-09 10:53:05
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Hi,

I thing according to me vodafone dongle will work the best for your internet access as I do use this, and it benefits me so much provides me good speed and also I can access this on my windows 7 too.

Thanks!!

Standard User Technode_
(experienced) Sun 13-Sep-09 19:26:32
Print Post

Using the same dongle on lite on Win 7 RTM without issue UAC is and was on, I can only surgest you try other usb ports as this has helped before on Vista when the device has not been seen.

Standard User dai2k
(committed) Mon 14-Sep-09 14:30:44
Print Post

Try getting a driver only package for your modem. Thier available online just google the model number of your dongle and drivers. I had a similar problem and just didn't bother with the vmclite software.

double check that the dongle is picked up at all in system it may come up as an unknown device or such like; open the device and choose to update driver; point the location to where you downloaded the .inf files (I used the winxp driver inf files) too and it should resolve your issue.

if the device still is not picked up try it in some other usb ports and repeat the above.

=========================================
{Hamster}Dai2k

I am Homer of Borg you will be..... oooohhhhh Donuts!!!!

Edited by dai2k (Mon 14-Sep-09 14:32:20)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Sep-09 19:09:01
Print Post

[re: dai2k] [link to this post]

When I plug the USB modem into my laptop USB port (any of them) it shows as a DVD/CD-ROM drive in my device manager - ZCOption HSUPA Modem USB
The software will then not recognise it as a USB modem so I get no device message in the Mobile Connections of the Connect Lite software. If I go to manage devices there are no devices there. I have tried for a few days installing and reimstalling the Lit software but I think it is the fact that the device is not correctly recognised in W7 that is the problem.
Alec
Standard User petethegeek
(regular) Mon 14-Sep-09 20:10:03
Print Post

Many thanks to all that have responded - much appreciated. The USB stick shows up in device manager under DVD/CD-ROM Drives as a 'HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device' and indeed it is the autoplay on that device which appears to attempt to install the VMC Lite software from the stick. (I have tried it in all the available usb ports with no discernible difference - I can read the files but the procedure fails with a 'could not access VBScript' error.)

By coincidence I downloaded a copy of the Windows 7 EE (32-bit) RTM over the weekend (I'm currently using the Ultimate RC build 7100) so I will be installing that tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if it 'cures' the problem. If not I may go for trying dai2k's suggestion. Stay tuned...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to