General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Routefinder
(experienced) Sat 09-Jan-10 00:16:34
Print Post

3G dongle and laptop WiFi as well ~ possible???

[link to this post]

Hi All

I have a question for you guys who use 3G dongles

My company are looking at adopting this method of accessing the company Intranet via a VPN connection ~ AFAIK this should be 100% OK but need to test as required.

Indeed, what 3G service provider gives the best UK coverage and if all can work with a VPN connection is there one (or more) such providern which is best???

But my question is more for my personal Network situation? If I use the 3G dongle in the house (as is intended i.e. not using my own BB connection) can I still use the laptops own WiFi connection at the same time to connect to my router which is the AP for my wireless Pixma printer i.e. the Pixma is 'served' within the same IP range of the router so any PC wired LAN or wireless LAN can access it. Hope that makes sense? Will it work though?

What prompted me to think it was possible is that a 3G dongle has in fact made the laptop into "phone" whereas the wireless "connectivity" on a laptop is WiFi ~ as such the two are separate protocols and indeed frequency ranges.

If not possible the only way I see I can print out stuff off of the Intranet system and my emails when needed is to used a wired LAN connection and simply point the printer port to that "port" but having said that it wil still be wireless over part of the connection with the AP talking to the Pixma! I think some testing will be required because I am sure when I set the Pixma up it could do either without any changes in the Windows printer setup?

Last resort will be to use the USB cable into the printer. Either way without the wireless I will have to change the way I work at home as I currently work in another room from the printer and go collect a everything I have printed is say the past hour or so!

I would welcome any feedback and obviously those who have actually found this will work would be great to know.

TIA :~)

Edited by Routefinder (Sat 09-Jan-10 00:18:25)

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-10 00:25:19
Print Post

Re: 3G dongle and laptop WiFi as well ~ possible???

[re: Routefinder] [link to this post]

Vodaphone, 3, Orange, O2, all work well. VPN is supported by all of them.
You can use different connections at the same time on your laptop but mis-configuration can lead to security issues.
(experienced) Sat 09-Jan-10 00:32:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Vodaphone, 3, Orange, O2, all work well. VPN is supported by all of them.
You can use different connections at the same time on your laptop but mis-configuration can lead to security issues.

Thanks for the very quick feedback.

I take from what you say that my proposal should work? Security wise my WiFi connection use WPA-TSK(PSK) method.

What security issues do I need to be aware of under this "setup"??? Edit - should have said the laptop uses WinXP Pro.

TIA smile

Edited by Routefinder (Sat 09-Jan-10 00:33:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-10 01:17:16
Print Post

Yes it should work.
You can compromise security by providing another route to the internet which could bypass any firewall at the other end of the VPN.
(experienced) Sat 09-Jan-10 01:32:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes it should work.
You can compromise security by providing another route to the internet which could bypass any firewall at the other end of the VPN.

Hmmm! right so the VPN is via the 3G dongle AOK and I am 'connected' via WiFi to my router that has an active BB connection. You are saying there is, so to speak, a risk of crosstalk (for want of a better word) on my laptop where the VPN could be breached.

OK, my router setup as such is "stealthed" as determined by grc.com does that help??? If not are there advised methods to mitigate for this potential leakage?

TIA

smile
Standard User mobilebb
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-10 11:44:12
Print Post

In regards to your printer problem, have you considered trying one of the MiFi routers as supplied by some operators like 3 and I think Voda too (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/08/06/three-uk...). You pop your sim in and they relay the 3g data link via Wi-Fi. I find it makes everything a bit easier. In the end though I just got an ADSL router with 3G built in and enable that whenever my broadband goes down.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-May-11 15:18:23
Print Post

[re: mobilebb] [link to this post]

Take a look at this kind of thing.

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/3g.htm
  Print Thread

Jump to