General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User coffindodger
(newbie) Sun 23-Jan-11 10:18:10
Print Post

E220 and USB version supported

[link to this post]

I have an E220 MBB modem. I consistently get a slow up and download speed as well as a higher than average ping. ~170+
What I am wondering is:
Does the fact that this supposed high speed USB 2.0 device only connects as a USB 1.x, have any bearing on these speeds?
My computer has native HS 2.0 USB ports. All of my other USB 2.0 devices show as USB 2.0, but not this modem. Older USB 1.x devices I plug in show as they should. USB 1.x.

Any ideas as to why this is and a possible corrective solution for it?
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Sun 23-Jan-11 10:39:57
Print Post

Re: E220 and USB version supported

[re: coffindodger] [link to this post]

a speed test result would be usefull.
Standard User jayteedc
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 10:44:00
Print Post

Have you discounted this as being a network issue? Some more rural sites are not supplied with as much backhaul capacity as others.

Also, you don't say what network or what area you're in or whether you've tried another modem with a better result. Orange, for instance, have many transmitters that are still only 3G and not HSPA enabled.

There is a firmware upgrade for the e220 which upgrades it to 7.2Mbps. Personally I've had over 6Mbps from an upgraded one from a couple of large towns.

jayteedc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 23-Jan-11 11:11:48
Print Post

[re: jayteedc] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.
I should have stated these things that were mentioned.
I am on 3 and is supplied from Maidenhead. I am located in Argyll, West of Scotland. 3's coverage map shows excellent coverage for this area.
The E220 has firmware version 11.117.10.02.00 installed which is the 7.2.
Speed tests reflect latency of ~170 - over 300.
Download - 1.37mbps avg
Upload - .35kbps avg
I also have the port speeds set as high as they'll allow. Plus the setting in device manager/port settings where the modem also shows up, to max 128000bps.

Edited by coffindodger (Sun 23-Jan-11 11:26:25)

Standard User jayteedc
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 18:04:27
Print Post

LTE, the next standard of mobile broadband will offer pings of around 20-30ms.
With HSPA, I've seen pings as low as 70-90ms.
With HSDPA, generally pings of 50-100ms above HSPA, which is in line with what you're seeing.
UTMS 200-300ms average.
GPRS/EDGE is usually several hundred ms.

If your cell has not been updated to support HSPA, you're likely getting the best it can currently offer. For a long time, mine topped out at about 1.4Mbps. Recently, it went above 2 and even more recently, having moved to a device that supports HSPA, I can get >3Mbps at home.

The upload speed you're getting is the max a non-HSPA device can support. With an HSPA device and cell that supports it, you can expect upload speeds on 3 to be between 1-1.5Mbps.

The best way of checking (assuming you don't know somebody you can borrow an HSPA compatible device from) is to pay a visit to your local 3 store, and ask if you can run some pings and speed tests using one of their demonstration devices that supports HSPA, take your device along and compare the results.

jayteedc
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 09:37:19
Print Post

[re: jayteedc] [link to this post]

So, I guess that whether it is running on a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 is of no matter to the speeds I get with it.
I am beginning to hate this modem. I play a time/ping/latency critical online game and with a high ping, it is difficult to play with up to 300ms latency.
I am waiting on hard wired/phone line BB equipment...
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:18:38
Print Post

ping are never great on mobile devices compared to those offered by fixed line systems.

Work for a network operator and even 4g not going to improve ping and that set more by the physical rules rather than capacity.

Just be greatful you not using Saterlite you could easily have a ping over 1000
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:29:07
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for the replies.
Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 13:39:04
Print Post

coffindodger,

Email/contact '3' and tell them about the usb thing and they might send you a replacement dongle.

I had issues with an E220 and they sent me an E1750 - works great and I can get HSPA: ~3Mbps down, ~1.5Mbps up, and a ping of ~70ms with good consistency.

Best of luck,

4M2.
(newbie) Thu 27-Jan-11 09:49:36
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
coffindodger,

Email/contact '3' and tell them about the usb thing and they might send you a replacement dongle.

I had issues with an E220 and they sent me an E1750 - works great and I can get HSPA: ~3Mbps down, ~1.5Mbps up, and a ping of ~70ms with good consistency.

Best of luck,

4M2.

Would this make any difference as to whether it is PAYG or a contract?

Good thinking!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to