General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Jan-11 22:43:23
Print Post

Pay as you go backup dongle?

[link to this post]

Is there such a thing as in the title. My phone went out over christmas so poor bb and no phone for about a week. I have dialup as backup but as the phone was out it was a no go. All the dongles seems to have a contract tied to them where you have to spend so much a month. Is there a dongle that u can just top up as and when you like? AAISP had one but cant seem to find it, but I suspect that was also a top up per month dongle.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Check my bad boy speeds out on ZeN
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:20:33
Print Post

Re: Pay as you go backup dongle?

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

No idea where you've been looking but I'm pretty sure all the UK mobile networks offer PAYG mobile broadband dongles.

And once you've got a dongle, if you search around there are some great longer-term deals available, eg. 12GB/12mths for £45.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 27-Jan-11 23:31:09
Print Post

[re: ceedee] [link to this post]

Most of the PAYG offer a fixed xGB for a month,tbut that EXPIRES when you do not use it up !
NO USE for occasional / unpredictable usage !
Regards,
Martin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:31:51
Print Post

[re: ceedee] [link to this post]

Thanks but what I mean is there seems to be a usage time limit but I have been on to three and they say the time limit doesnt start until you register online so that suits me.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:40:05
Print Post

Oh I see what you mean now.
I think the minimum top-up will be roughly £10 for 1GB (or a maximum of 30 days) for all networks.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:40:42
Print Post

That is a potential problem!

If your internet is down how do you register your pay-as-you-go dongle?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:44:18
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
That is a potential problem!

If your internet is down how do you register your pay-as-you-go dongle?

I just asked this very question and the Three Online chat guy said the dongle will allow you to connect to the Three website to register the online usage so you can use it for free. In other words the dongle will work out of the box to connect to the three website for free. He better be right I will be testing.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jan-11 23:49:28
Print Post

That is how I understood it worked. Just making sure you had checked that with three.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Ribble
(newbie) Fri 28-Jan-11 00:13:45
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I think the SIM itself expires if not used (after 1st registering it) for a long period. Maybe as little as 3 months and may vary with network. Im sure my 3 dongle did after a few months non use and I dont think you can just get a new SIM to replace it.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jan-11 01:49:30
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

That's strange because they are sending me an extra SIM for a friend which I will keep as a spare, with the dongle.

Also this may be of interest from the Three FAQ

Pay Per Day Mobile Broadband

If you only use Mobile Broadband now and then, you can buy Pay Per Day Mobile Broadband. For just £2 per top-up, you'll get a 500MB data allowance, which could let you send around 5,000 emails and browse online for 5 hours.

Your data allowance will last until midnight the day after you buy it, if you haven't used it up before.

If you have a dongle or a MiFi device, you'll get a text alert sent to your dashboard telling you that you've nearly used up your data allowance. If you've got an iPad, we can't send you an alert right now, so check My3 where we'll keep you updated.

Once you've used up all your data, we'll automatically re-direct you to My3 where you can buy another top-up if you need it.

How can I buy a £2 Pay Per Day Mobile Broadband top-up?

* Go to My3, either on your computer or phone
* If you buy more than one top-up, your second top-up will be waiting in queue and will only be activated once you've finished your first one
* The minimum top-up voucher you can buy in one of our 3Stores is £10. You can use this to buy the £2 top-up from My3. The remaining balance of £8 will stay on your account. You could use it to buy four more day passes, or, convert the whole £10 voucher, which will last five days.
* You can pay for your top-up on My3 by using a Credit/ Debit card, top-up voucher or Cash credit on your account.

Bit expensive way to get online but when the net is down or just buy a 30 day £10 top up. Bit silly if the SIM card expires.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active

Edited by Banger (Fri 28-Jan-11 02:04:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to