General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User soulsoulsoul
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 18:36:03
Print Post

Confused on how mobile broadband works!

[link to this post]

Hey guys,

I'm going to be moving very soon and I would like to switch over to a mobile broadband connection. Which provider should I go with that will allow me a higher download cap? I've checked out the coverage in my area and its 'very good' for orange/vodafone/t-mobile - what kind of speeds can I expect?

I mainly browse the web and stream, which would be a suitable package for me?

Thanks in advance!
Standard User jackery
(committed) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:14:09
Print Post

Re: Confused on how mobile broadband works!

[re: soulsoulsoul] [link to this post]

I have been solely using mobile broadband for the last 3-4 years due to the fact I cannot receive ADSL or cable.

I use both Three - 15GB for £15.99 a month (24 month contract)

Also T-mobile (10GB fair usage policy) £25.00 a month

Regards to speed,

Network Three

My Broadband Speed Test

T-mobile

My Broadband Speed Test

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Feb-11 22:12:55
Print Post

If your reason for switching to mobile broadband is "because you won't be in one location for 12 months or you will not be getting a phone line" then yes it is an option.

Mobile broadband should not be considered to be a replacement for a fixed line. It is for portable devices, users that don't stay in one location or can't get a decent speed on ADSL and where cable is not available.

Do not expect speeds to be consistent and expect to download videos before playing.

Saying that three are very good at the moment and I have been getting faster and faster over the last 2 years. With good signal I can get 4Mbps download and 1.6Mbps upload and that is faster than ADSL in some of the same locations.

Three have the best priced, fastest, highest usage service.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-Feb-11 00:09:55
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

On Orange for 18 months now.
I have good (3/4 out of 5 bars) signal, even perusaded Orange to send me their newest & best dongle, it connects at 3G+, then within second drops to GPRS !
Just occasionally it works OKish.
More often then not is very slow, even unusable, e.g. takes 3 min just load one web page.
Can take 3 min just to download few short emails.
Streaming ? Absolutely NO CHANCE. (couldn't afford the 500MB p.h. anyway...)
Orange is the only one with 3G transmitter near by, so no other choice.
Regards,
Martin
Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Tue 08-Feb-11 00:36:00
Print Post

depends on you area you have 7 day return on all orange dongles

25£ pounds will get you 10gb and 35£ wil get you 20GB and 3g wifi device will service you better as one can put it where there the strongest signal
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Feb-11 08:47:24
Print Post

Adding to the other responses I used 3G temporarily using a MiFi router from 3. Speeds were decent (similar to those from the other poster) but latency is very high and can spike really badly. Playing online games such as FPS, world of warcraft, etc is pretty much out of the question (WoW did work but I got disconnected more than once and the latency was so bad I could be dead before I knew I had got into a fight).
Standard User soulsoulsoul
(newbie) Tue 08-Feb-11 13:00:31
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ah okay, thanks for the replies. Firstly, my reasons for opting for mobile over a fixed line is because I won't be a 'heavy' user'. I'll be working 9til-5 and do some browsing in the evenings (web/email) and maybe some streaming(youtube/megavideo) and finally IM (MSN..) ...I understand that the latency will suck so online gaming is out of the question which isn't a problem.

So, for these 'needs' is it worth me getting a mobile broadband connection?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Feb-11 23:22:46
Print Post

2.5 years experience with Three 3G here as main connection (ADSL useless)

Local cell is only 3.6Mbps

Using the speed tester on here I never get more than 2.9Mbps of the 3.6Mbps available

The speed testers on other sites do show 3.2Mbps sometimes

Less than 2.2Mbps is rare

Streams e.g. YouTube perfectly night or day, Seesaw seems a bit more problematic on the higher quality setting and has packed up once or twice - you have to watch in normal def

Ping times average 90ms so probably useless for gaming - never tried

2 days downtime in last 2.5 years - local cell packed up altogether and needed repairs.

Here, the exchange is 2.5km away and the mobile cell is 2.8km away, and 3G runs at roughly twice the speed of ADSL.

I might be only one of a handful of people using it and hence, if this can possibly apply, "lucky".

Like ADSL, whether it's any use or not depends on where you are. We can also get O2 3G, but that's useless here despite an apparent strong signal - packet loss is horrendous.

Your proposed usage is similar to mine and it has been fine for years. Yes, it's frustratingly slow, 3Mbps is what I'd call "narrowband", but it is the only option available and here, over about the same distance, radio waves and oxygen succeed as a broadband conduit in a way that BT's knackered old phone lines don't.

Since quality is so variable, do make sure you do get it on the "take it back if it's useless" option e.g. perhaps start on PAYG.
Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Feb-11 21:16:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by soulsoulsoul:
I've checked out the coverage in my area and its 'very good' for orange/vodafone/t-mobile - what kind of speeds can I expect?

I would take that with a pinch of salt.

I'm in a very good area for all networks.

I can only get a 3G signal outdoors or in the loft.

I suggest taking some mobile phones and checking the actual 3G signal strength.
Standard User valezio
(learned) Sat 26-Feb-11 07:03:52
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Yes I would agree that Three works well. Unfortunately though they have VERY poor customer service. I'm going through hell with them right now and I'm sorry to say most of it is due to having to talk to India and not the UK(possibly due to language barrier and lack of understanding what's being said). I do rate Three's service though, just not the customer service side of things frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to