General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AnyName
(newbie) Tue 08-Feb-11 21:27:59
Print Post

Email host on mobile broadband?

[link to this post]

I have Orange 3G mobile broadband, and I own my own domain name just for simple personal email use. Until last week I used to have my emails automatically forwarded by my domain host to freeuk.com, and then I would download them from there to my laptop using Pegasus. But now freeuk have told me that my account is being closed (unless I pay I think it was £25 per year) because I haven't dialled in in the last 120 days. Fair enough, I hadn't appreciated the difference between logging in and dialling in. And I can't dial in because I have no landline.

So my question is, can someone recommend a decent free/cheap email host via which Pegasus can download and send a low number of emails? How would the host make their money if not by dial-up fees? Is there another way of doing it? I am not interested in webmail or much storage space at all; I want to store/control all my emails on my own computer.

I'm at the limit of my technical knowledge here... hope you can help!
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Wed 09-Feb-11 12:16:59
Print Post

Re: Email host on mobile broadband?

[re: AnyName] [link to this post]

GMail - while it is web based, it can be 'POPped' just like any other and it's free..

ClubGTI has a little tutorial that a friend of mine pointed me to, which should sort you out.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Wed 09-Feb-11 21:09:57
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
GMail - while it is web based, it can be 'POPped' just like any other and it's free..

ClubGTI has a little tutorial that a friend of mine pointed me to, which should sort you out.
I would agree. The challenge for the OP is to configure Gmail so that the reply to email address (for emails sent via Gmail) is his domain name email address not his Gmail email address. It can be done but it is a PITA.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Feb-11 21:17:59
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by Spasch:

I would agree. The challenge for the OP is to configure Gmail so that the reply to email address (for emails sent via Gmail) is his domain name email address not his Gmail email address. It can be done but it is a PITA.

The tutorial is a bit dated. If you have your domain you can have it hosted by Google for free.
Just create your account here: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html
then point your MX records to google servers and here you go, you receive all benefits of gmail with your own domain name for free.
Standard User AnyName
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-11 23:41:08
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone. I've set up my gmail account and it all seems to work perfectly no worries. Very user friendly. Sorted!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 00:03:23
Print Post

[re: AnyName] [link to this post]

Also Windows Live Hotmail. It can be POP3'd (port 995 SSL) and SMTP'd (port 587 SSL) & unlike GMail it does not obliterate your From: addy with its own one.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
  Print Thread

Jump to