General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thejawos
(newbie) Wed 09-Feb-11 17:42:24
Print Post

Connection problems with my mobile broadband

[link to this post]

I have been having problems with my mobile broadband connection for some time and have ran out of ideas on what it can be.I am currently using three network and use a huawei ZTE dongle.I dont use the three connection screen to connect to the internet as it takes so long its amazing so i use the dial up on the bottom right hand side of my screen and use 1.3G.After a small amount of time,anywhere between 10-30 mins the connection stops and the little computer scree icon changed to show me the internet is no longer connected.However when i click on the icon it still shows me 1.3g is connected and if i try to disconnect it , it refuses and still shows as connected.Even if i remove the dongle,it shows connected.So every few minurtes the only way i can re-connect is by re-starting my computer,its starting to drive me mad! I have spoke to network three about this and we have changed the dongle incase this was the problem.This has not changed anything other than make it happen more often.I have checked for all updates on my laptop and done these and checked settings.I really cant understand what the problem can be.Does anyone have this same problem or know what it can be?? :-/
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Feb-11 17:47:35
Print Post

Re: Connection problems with my mobile broadband

[re: thejawos] [link to this post]

Also using Three. It is definitely possible to have it "permanently connected" and not drop the way you describe, at least it is here. Also using Windows, not the 3 app itself, to connect with the "Redial if line is dropped" option.

I do sometimes get issues with my Vista PC dropping USB devices. Seems to be a power issue as all of the 6 ports are in use. Depending on how I plug them in the printer or one of the external HDDs will drop and re-establish now and again and sometimes it gets to a state where a reboot is needed as I get the message "One of the USB devices has malfunctioned.."

You could try detaching any other USB devices and see if this makes a difference.
Standard User thejawos
(newbie) Wed 09-Feb-11 18:03:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the reply. I am using windows 7.As i am using my laptop i dont use any off my usb ports other than for my mobile broadband dongle.I have tried swapping the dongle around to different ports but am still facing the same problem :-/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Feb-11 20:43:12
Print Post

First suspicion was the modem but you've had that swapped...

I wonder if the problem might be with the Windows service that manages the connections rather than the USB itself.

When this happens next, have a look in the Services applet (Control Panel, Admin Tools on prior versions - don't have Windows 7 here yet) and see if the "Remote Access Connection Manager" service is stopped or shows as "Stopping".
Standard User thejawos
(newbie) Thu 10-Feb-11 10:52:56
Print Post

Hi thanks for your reply.It just happened again so i did as you said.I went to services then to the remote access manager, the service is showing as started. :-/
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 10-Feb-11 11:44:50
Print Post

Is there anything pertinent in the Event Log?

Control Panel, Admin Tools, Event Viewer

Drop down "Windows Logs"

And have a look in "Application" and "System" under that

Anything with a red cross next to it, or which seems to pertain to networking in any way which has date and time corresponding roughly with the drop?

If so, can you see the same thing farther back for the last drop out? What does it say?

You may very well have other "errors" in the log which you can ignore, it's only if the timings match that it's important.

Pursuing this because the modem was swapped, and the problem may pertain to Windows, not the modem, as you can't disconnect using Windows connection manager.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-Feb-11 12:04:34
Print Post

Probably a signal problem. Tried using it in different places?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User thejawos
(newbie) Thu 10-Feb-11 18:10:16
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

I have tried it at another address aswell as my work place but still the same problem.I am really running out of options now.I have spoken to network three for hours at a time about this problem and all they can do is talk me through installing and re installing my dongle (which i can now do with my eyes closed lol) and they have changed the dongle 5 times in 3 months,to which everytime they do i get a new problem! Really starting to give up now frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Feb-11 15:20:46
Print Post

The one thing you haven't (said) you've tried, and which you probably need to do to narrow the cause, is to put the modem into another machine and see how it performs.

If it doesn't drop on that machine, then it could very well be Windows/your machine itself that's to blame which gets closer to a diagnosis.
Standard User thejawos
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 17:31:53
Print Post

Hi i have checked the event viewer but the logs only got the following errors.There is around 15 errors all at exactly the same time.i have copied the 2 different messages below.

The server service was unable to change the domain name from WORKGROUP to WORKGROUP.

and..........

The Windows Update service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Hope this helps :-/
  Print Thread

Jump to