General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DJans
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 14:39:44
Print Post

Mobile Broadband Dongle PAYG for UK holiday

[link to this post]

Hi,
my name is Dirk and I am from germany. I am on holiday in Dymchurch (Postcode TN29 0TG) in summer and I am looking for a mobile internet connection for my netbook for 1 week and my apartement has no internet or wifi connection.

I have now seen the offer "Three ZTE MF112 dongle incl. 1 GB PAYG" for less than 20 GBP. Something like that is exactly what I am looking for. If I have a look at the 3G coverage map of the different providers (http://www.compare3gmobilebroadband.co.uk/3g-coverage-uk.htm) I see that I can only connect to Three (Outdoor only) or better Orange in that area. But I have not found an Orange all-in-one offer PAYG including dongle like the Three package noticed before.

Now my questions:
1) What is your experience: Is 1 GB enough for one week reading mails twice a day and for e.g. opening 30 web pages per day (ebay, news,..., no downloads, no music)?
2) Do I need a UK postal address when logging in using 3G by using a (Three) PAYG account? Or is it just "connect dongle and go"?
3) Is there an Orange PAYG offer similar to the Three offer or any better offer?
4) Is there something else I have to know using mobile broadband in the UK.

Sorry I am not so familiar with the english network knowledge, so I need you help.

Thanks and best regards,
Dirk

Edited by DJans (Wed 13-Apr-11 20:32:08)

Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Wed 13-Apr-11 16:02:57
Print Post

Re: Mobile Broadband Dongle PAYG for UK holiday

[re: DJans] [link to this post]

I use a USB stick from Vodafone. Current price in GBP 25, including 2 GB data valid for 30 days.

See here - Vodafone PAYG dongle

I use a similar product from Vodafone, no registration needed, just plug it in and it will connect automatically. You can buy from any Vodafone shop.

Vodafone stores

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3
Standard User tonym
(member) Wed 13-Apr-11 17:32:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by DJans:
Hi,
my name is Disk and I am from germany. I am on holiday in Dymchurch (Postcode TN29 0TG) in summer and I am looking for a mobile internet connection for my netbook for 1 week and my apartement has no internet or wifi connection.

I have now seen the offer "Three ZTE MF112 dongle incl. 1 GB PAYG" for less than 20 GBP. Something like that is exactly what I am looking for. If I have a look at the 3G coverage map of the different providers (http://www.compare3gmobilebroadband.co.uk/3g-coverage-uk.htm) I see that I can only connect to Three (Outdoor only) or better Orange in that area. But I have not found an Orange all-in-one offer PAYG including dongle like the Three package noticed before.

Now my questions:
1) What is your experience: Is 1 GB enough for one week reading mails twice a day and for e.g. opening 30 web pages per day (ebay, news,..., no downloads, no music)?
2) Do I need a UK postal address when logging in using 3G by using a (Three) PAYG account? Or is it just "connect dongle and go"?
3) Is there an Orange PAYG offer similar to the Three offer or any better offer?
4) Is there something else I have to know using mobile broadband in the UK.

Sorry I am not so familiar with the english network knowledge, so I need you help.

Thanks and best regards,
Dirk

1) 1GB would be more than enough for that

2) No postal address required to login, just connect up and go

3) Not sure about Orange, but there are others about. But 3 seems to be the best if you can get the signal

4) I don't think so, but I am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

There are some good deals on Ebay for Mobile dongles with Data allowance

Enjoy your holiday Disk

tonym

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:59:14
Print Post

Hi Dirk,

You will probably be asked for a UK address when you buy a 3 Mobile Dongle, so have one to hand.

Enjoy your holiday.

P.S. you could also get free wi-fi access at McDonald's Restaurants (although the nearest seems to be 10 miles from Dymchurch)

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User tonym
(member) Thu 14-Apr-11 08:19:05
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Any Uk address needed would just be for a Postal address.

Again Ebay is prob the best bet for price, even BUY IT NOW

tonym
Standard User DJans
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 12:42:10
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

I just bought the Three Mobile Broadband Dongle ZTE MF112 + 1GB SIM Set on ebay for a very good price. I will activate the Sim when I am in the UK in July.

Do I need any additional software or anything else I have to download before connecting the dongle to my notebook the first time? Or does the dongle contain a "data area" which contains the necessary software?

Thanks and Regards
Dirk
Standard User tonym
(member) Mon 02-May-11 14:32:27
Print Post

Hi Dirk.
I do not actually use the dongle, I use the Huawei E5830 wireless modem into which you put the 3G card, and this does contain all necessary software

My understanding is that the dongle is the same ,in that there is an area which contains the necessary software.

Connecting to the 3 network home page to check on data used /top ups etc, is free. It does not come off the data allowance.
I am sure that someone will put me right on the dongle containing software if I am wrong, but I believe it is PnP.

Enjoy your holiday

tonym
Standard User tonym
(member) Tue 03-May-11 11:51:02
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

Dirk havea look here:
http://ask3.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?N...

You can find instructions on installing and using the 3 dongle on various operating systems

tonym
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Tue 03-May-11 13:59:00
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

I bought my 3 mobile dongle at Argos . No address required.
  Print Thread

Jump to