General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markthomas1973
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 12:50:31
Print Post

Router for Huawei E367

[link to this post]

Has anyone come across a router with the firmware to run the new premium dongle from three. I currently run my old dongle on the Edimax 3G 6200n but cannot see this being updated as yet.
I understand the dovado 4GR indicates that it will support this model but i have no knowledge of this manufacturer any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User dpgs
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 16:44:15
Print Post

Re: Router for Huawei E367

[re: markthomas1973] [link to this post]

I am using an Option Globesurfer X1 router with the premium Huawei E367, works just fine; getting average of 6MBps down, early morning it can go over 8MBps, so it proved a big improvement over the previous modem, an icon505. The router is upstairs, very directional, speeds tumble if you move it from its 'sweet spot', found by trial and error. Distributes the signal throughout the house no problem. Hope this helps.
Standard User markthomas1973
(newbie) Tue 10-May-11 10:27:31
Print Post

[re: dpgs] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, took a look at the Option site and like the concept of the Globesurfer as it looks like it will be capable of handling the increased speeds when 3 upgrade their network.

My only concern is it doesn't show the E367 in its compatability list, did you have any problems with set up, or did you need to download and firmware updates, or was it as simple as plug and play.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dpgs
(newbie) Tue 10-May-11 12:01:51
Print Post

Well, the E367 only came out in the first week of April here in the UK, so maybe that is why it is not on the compatibilty list.
It worked straightaway, though you do have to set up the router with the right APN (3internet) etc etc the wizard takes you through it. It was just plug and play, no problems. Still, its like anything you get for the first time, sometimes things are a nightmare to set up when you are not familiar with them....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 14-May-11 10:07:07
Print Post

[re: dpgs] [link to this post]

To add to the knowledge on the E367 dongle, here is my experience.

Generally speaking you may as well ignore compatibility lists since they're almost always way out of date. I'd also recommend that you first update the firmware for your router before adding a new device. This saves your remaining hair when problem solving.

I have this modem installed here and it works with pretty much anything from an ancient (in IT terms) D100 router, right through to much more modern devices such as the EnGenius ESR-6650.

For the technically minded, my installation is as follows:

Loft installed 15DBi Yagi antenna connected to the E367 antenna port (needed since I live in a rural area with incredibly difficult terrain). USB link to loft installed router. This installation is Ethernet connected to the office environment and provides WiFi across the rest of the house for both personal and staff use (I run an international business from home).

The installation supports always on internet connectivity for the primary office networked systems including a Windows 7 box, two MacBook Pro's, an iPad 2 and a couple of iPhone 4's.

Staff hardware automatically latch onto the network when visiting with no degradation in service.

Download speed is typically around the 6 Mbps mark with upload speed at a consistent 1.6 Mbps (the Three cell site still needs to be upgraded to support higher speeds).

Hope that helps others.

Be Well,

CHRIS
Standard User jsp21c
(member) Mon 16-May-11 11:11:57
Print Post

Re: Router for Huawei E367 *DELETED*

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Post deleted by jsp21c
Standard User jsp21c
(member) Mon 16-May-11 11:25:37
Print Post

I'm running the E367 through a TP-Link TL-MR3420 3g router. I updated to the latest firmware before installing the dongle and it works a treat.
Sometimes the router says "3g Modem" and sometimes it says "E367" although it's not officially supported in the list.
Whatever the status says the dongle works great and the router itself is very reasonable at £33.18 from broadbandbuyer.

When using the dongle via USB and the 3Connect software it shows a full 5 bar signal, the TP-Link status shows a signal range of 50-60% but it doesn't make any difference, I'm still getting speeds in the range of 6-8 meg down and 1-1.6 meg up most of the time.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO
Intel Core i7 860
8GB Corsair DDR3
Windows 7x64
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-May-11 15:17:30
Print Post

Today's dense question ::

Where's the antenna port on the modem? I bought an E367 as the service was failing, and despite my suspicion it was down to the cell it did turn out to be the modem.

I'd held off upgrading not knowing when the cell might be upgraded to support > 3.6Mbps but I ran a speed test yesterday and got 4.7Mbps down 1.5Mbps up so looks like it might be worth investing in the antenna and router kit now.

I've come across two types of antenna, "box" ones which seem to basically sit round the modem and boost the signal into it, and proper antenna/router combos which I think is what I need to go for. I can put the antenna on the chimney for line of sight.

The bit that puzzles me is: if I had an antenna and router, surely the SIM goes in the router, and I don't need the E367 anyway?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-May-11 21:08:48
Print Post

ASFAIK the std. adsl routers that support 3G simply have USB port to plug the dongle into.
If you do it on a lengh of USB extension cable, get a shielded one.
I got mine from french suppermarket (Geant) !

When I looked at dedicated 3G routers (while ago), they swere WAY too expensive.
Regards,
martin
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-May-11 21:50:42
Print Post

That's what I keep coming across - 3G routers that you plug the dongle into.

Great, except I don't want to put the router on the chimney and I doubt it would get on very well with the rain.

The cost isn't so much the issue, as it compares well with satellite here (no cable available, phone line is too poor quality to support broadband).

I'm thinking £100 antenna, £100 router or thereabouts and I have a vision of an antenna on the chimney (have to get some radio/GPS minded person with a long ladder round for that so perhaps another £150) with a lead running to a router in my office, that with a wired connection for the PC and a wireless connection for phone/laptop.

This might achieve somewhere between absolutely nothing and significantly improved speeds and ping times but I may as well give it a try.

It's knowing what antenna is needed for a 2.5km "route" to the cell and what modem plugs into it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to