General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jmdixon85
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 19:49:50
Print Post

FTP using the three network???

[link to this post]

Has anyone had any success setting up an FTP server on a computer using three mobile broadband?

I have set up my domain name with DynDNS and have installed the client software on my machine to update the IP address but nomatter what server or settings I try I can't get it to work. The FTP service is running fine as it works through the local machine.

I'm using the filezilla FTP server.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-11 19:54:05
Print Post

Re: FTP using the three network???

[re: jmdixon85] [link to this post]

It's unlikely to ever work - when you connect to mobile broadband, you are given a non-public, internal IP (often in the 10.0 range), meaning DynDNS is seeing the public IP address and no routing can happen to your machine.

If you are on Windows, open a command prompt and check what IP the connection reports.

Edited by Spasch (Tue 16-Aug-11 19:55:06)

Standard User jmdixon85
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 20:56:58
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Well I've just tried a HTTP file server and couldn't get that to work either. The thing that bugs me is that logmein works as does mobile pc monitor. So it's atleast possible to gain access to the machine that is using the 3g network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-11 21:51:06
Print Post

Ah, but that's because LogMeIn registers itself with a server which then facilitates the communications (can't comment on mobile PC monitor as I've not used it).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Aug-11 00:37:01
Print Post

I feel sure I have got onto my home PC via Remote Desktop in the past with Three and DynDns, but I wonder if I might have imagined that and it was in the pre 3G days when we had ADSL here instead. Can't try that now as this machine doesn't have RDP (Windows 7 Home Premium) but I was intrigued enough to try FTP and see if I can reproduce what you see.

I just tried out remoting onto a server from here, and then FTP'ing back to my PC via IP address. No joy. I can ping my own machine from there, and it's not the Windows firewall stopping it nor is it PASV settings or anything like that. It just won't work for me either.
Standard User jmdixon85
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 12:50:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Seems it is impossible via the usual FTP, HTTP servers.

Was going to try setting up a VPN but that seems a no go too frown

I have installed Logmein Hamachi and that seems to work on my LAN. I havn't had a chance to try it away from home but looks like it will work smile It seems that the service is free for upto 16 computers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-11 09:28:53
Print Post

You need to buy a mobile broadband service that offers a public IP address, rather than a NAT'd one.

It means paying more money

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to