General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Robert_S
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 05:35:45
Print Post

3G plans in Southern England

[link to this post]

I am going to southern England (from Australia) for a few weeks and am planning to get a 3G plan. Which one gives the best deals and best coverage?

Several years ago I got a 3 SIM card and had to return it because of woeful reception in Chichester.

We're going to Chichester and Devon.

I would definitely like a plan that supports tethering.

Edited by Robert_S (Mon 22-Aug-11 06:13:01)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 07:48:08
Print Post

Re: 3G plans in Southern England

[re: Robert_S] [link to this post]

Chichester should be fine for Three although if you're not actually in the town you may have problems.

In the UK (unlike in Australia) the frequencies used don't penetrate walls etc very well and coverage maps are based on outdoor coverage.

Check all the providers before you buy. Three has the best coverage in terms or population covered but will not always be the best on one given area.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Robert_S
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 08:30:02
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help. They seem to be the only company that offer a 1 month SIM-only contract for 15 pounds. Given the value of the Aussie dollar this should be good value. Will this contact cease automatically at the end of the month?

We were told last time about penetration of walls. 3G signals penetrate our flimsy dwellings very well here in Australia.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-11 08:48:48
Print Post

[re: Robert_S] [link to this post]

Chichester is pretty woeful for 3G All round. Three I have found to be the best of them but even then it depends on where you are as there aren't that many masts. O2 is dreadul for 3G in Chichester and you will only really get it at the south end of chichester near the police station - even in the main streets it is mostly just edge or GPRS on O2.

So, I suspect 3 is your best bet but don't expect anything great from any of them.

And may I welcome you to the wonderful place of Chichester.
  Print Thread

Jump to