General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(regular) Wed 31-Aug-11 12:42:11
Print Post

Orange: So this is mobile bb ?

[link to this post]

Finally got a mobile broadband connection at the office, our regular ADSL is down due to cable theft in the area
It's taken over 2 hours to establish a connection and now I'm here the speed is s-l-o-w
My Broadband Speed Test
Decided to crack out a few pigeons instead...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L) at home
eclipse internet Business Bronze at work
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-11 21:03:48
Print Post

Re: Orange: So this is mobile bb ?

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Are you on GPRS, 3G or HSPA and what signal strength do you have?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 31-Aug-11 21:43:00
Print Post

How many other people in the area are affected?

How many of them are likely to be trying to use the same base station bandwidth as you are?

The concept of using 3G as a backup in case of DSL failure has some snags, this is one of them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(regular) Wed 31-Aug-11 23:38:08
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Are you on GPRS, 3G or HSPA and what signal strength do you have?

I'm doing this at home, from memory, but recall the indication didn't show 3G, as we've seen at an event in town, but had just a capital E in the display, and then only 2 bars

Had a lot of fun getting any signal at all as the building we are in has really thick brick walls - have to use a bit of string to hang the dongle up in the air !

Orange show the postcode as having a 'very good' signal in all 4 catagories, although our building is slightly above the arrow and is in a 'low' block.

No, it's not the best scenario, but we have had better than this when we tested it before.

Virgin Cable (L) at home
Standard User TMCR
(regular) Wed 31-Aug-11 23:51:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
How many other people in the area are affected?

How many of them are likely to be trying to use the same base station bandwidth as you are?

The concept of using 3G as a backup in case of DSL failure has some snags, this is one of them.

That probably explains some of it as we understand quite a large number of people have been affected by the outage. Some of the problem is our location and the building itself, as explained in my last post.

When we first moved to the current location I checked with orange. They said a new base station was planned that would vastly improve the signal. I've seen no change in the 4 years since, apart from being able to use T-Mobile, where available. Guess what, no T-Mobile anywhere near.

Looking at the Orange map, there's a massive area of the North Sea off Cleethorpes that gets much better coverage than we do...wink

Orange mast ref SYK7033 is just under 500metres away, but on the other side of our building - which blocks it quite well. We have to go stand outside to get a good handset signal. Normally that's not an issue as I have UMA on the WiFi - but Broadband is out thanks to having no phone service, hence the reason for using the mobile BB.

It's not the best area for mobile signal...

Virgin Cable (L) at home
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Sep-11 00:04:49
Print Post

E is for Edge, not much faster then GPRS.

Can you disable 2G modes on the device? Some have a setting you can choose between 2G/3G and "3.5'G.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 00:07:24
Print Post

E is EDGE and therefore 0.1Mbps is about the maximum you can expect.

3G and HSPA are on 2.1GHz and doesn't penetrate walls well where as EDGE on 1.8GHz or 1.9GHz will have slightly better penetration.

Mobile networks simply can not cope with demand from people using it as a back-up if there is a major outage. Connections with good signal will be given priority, poor signals will be dropped if the network is under load to better provide service to those that can be. This is a simple fact of how 3G networks work and is sometimes the explanation for 'fade' in signal or dropped connections at the edge of coverage.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User TMCR
(regular) Thu 01-Sep-11 00:29:01
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

E = Edge? I don't know what that means, but it seems it's not good. Ah! - Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution. OK, so I know what EDGE means at least...

We are at the edge of the populated area for miles around, our office door looks out over a field. Mobile signal is bad at the best of times, hence using the UMA feature on a Nokia 6301 and now a Nokia E5 - when the WiFi is active of course.

The nearest (only!) transmitter is a Macrocell on 1800 GSM with 27.1dBW power. From that I guess setting the dongle to 3G would stop us getting any signal at all? I wouldn't know how to change it anyway.

We're DN8 4PB if you need to look. Our building ID's with this username on Google maps wink

Here's the mast: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=DN8+4PB&hl=en&ll=53....

Here we are: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=DN8+4PB&hl=en&ll=53....
- our door is just behind where you can see some sheets of something propped up against the wall.

It's the 515M dongle, if that helps? Orange said it was the best available, at the time we ordered.

I think we're up that famous creek ?

Virgin Cable (L) at home

Edited by TMCR (Thu 01-Sep-11 00:34:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Sep-11 10:06:48
Print Post

Should try using mobile broadband at music festivals!!!!

Or the main london train stations at peak times.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(regular) Thu 01-Sep-11 15:10:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Anyway, I carried on trying to connect and had the dongle tied up to the wall next to the desk on a bit of string, as that was the only way to get a signal.

The string slipped it's knot and the dongle dropped behind a radiator, still attached to the USB cable. Before I pulled it back out I noticed that the display showed Orange UK and 3G+ but no bars. So, I clicked connect = hey, look at this!
My Broadband Speed Test

I kid you not, the dongle is down behind the radiator, the USB cable snakes back to the laptop, and that's the signal I'm getting...

Dafter still, the local TX does not have 3G, so we must be connected to the mast that's a mile and a half away...

I suggest all mobile dongles come equipped with a radiator panel...

Virgin Cable (L) at home
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to